Act 7

It had been several days since your dad was imprisoned inside the Fortress of Meropide. Opposite to the actions of the foregoing, he was quite temperate once he was locked behind bars, inundated by the most heinous to neighborliest residents aiming for parole. Although that was the case for the minority, there were countless individuals who sought solace within the confines of that zone. That numbing, gargantuan-sized calaboose that housed minds of which could not be comprehended by commonfolk. Stepping foot into it prior to the trial that was to be held in a week was chilling to you. 

You could still catch whiffs of the smell of that place; how the stains on the walls left marks of a past act of violence that didn't completely fade. A foul legacy that dared to uncover itself if you so much as tried to unravel it. But the farther you looked into the darkness of such places, the less light that envelops you so you didn't dare to open up what wasn't mandatory. The administrative area was as far as you went inside that prison and the friendliest person there was the receptionist. To you, this might've been somewhat of a personal hell. To the guards and Gardemeks patrolling, this was just another run-of-the-mill. A dance with demons. 

On one morning, you were particularly well-rested but the fatigue was still there on your face, thinking about how your life was going okay but at the same time not. You just wished your mom was here so she could knock some sense into your dad. That beating someone up in public wasn't akin to picking a fight with a kid over some toy. And of course, the legal ramifications it entailed. The guards didn't give you ample time to discuss with your dad about the why's and how's of his assault on a man of high-class in Fontainian society. In fact, your dad resembled a mimic when he conversed with you, hollow and soulless along with the other lifeless goons that hung around the place. Then, he was just sent back to his cell without further notice. And until his trial had yet to commence, he was to remain inside here for the time being, awaiting judgment to be conveyed.

You needed your mom. You'd contacted her via mail but she wasn't replying back as quickly as you anticipated. She must've been dealing with a most complicated legal issue in Liyue if she didn't reply to you in the blink of an eye. With your saved up Mora from your first paycheck, it was already more than sufficient for a trip to Liyue to contact her face-to-face but the trip to and back would take long and the trial that was to occur in the Opera Epiclese. With the Oratrice Mechanique D'analyse Cardinale broken, the manner of handling matters of the court had changed through the Iudex's supreme guidance. The entertainment aspect of the court for the masses were still active but the shifting of tides with the Oratrice being gone, the verbal clash that once took place there had now been amended, just like the course of time.  

You needed your mom. But she wasn't here right now. You needed a lawyer. A damn good one at that to save your dad's ass. Even if he wasn't the best person right now. There were a bunch of them but you just felt like you couldn't trust them for some reason.

As the soft glow of dawn crept through the parted curtains, casting a gentle light upon the room, you stirred from your slumber with thoughts of your dad rushing back into your brain. The warmth of the morning sunlight kissed your face, coaxing you to abandon the comforting embrace of your bed. Before you could fully shake off the remnants of sleep, a distinct knock resonated through the tranquility of your room. 

"Y/N?" You could hear Furina on the other side, knocking on the door as gently as she could. She could bash it open since this was her turf but she was too kind to do that. She knew what you were thinking about ever since that night she tried to comfort you through companionship and jokes. It wasn't even 5am yet and she had the voice of an angel first thing in the morning. No signs of exhaustion nor grogginess in her vocalizations. She must've had a proper amount of sleep compared to you.

It jolted you awake, prompting you to rise with energy you had not felt a few seconds prior. 

Your bare feet met the cool embrace of the floor and as you reached for the handle, you just felt energized all of a sudden in swinging it wide open and seeing Furina in front of you with a meek smile.