Chapter 1

Today is my last day of freedom. Once the clock strikes midnight, I'm fair game. There's a rumor that the Recruiters will give up on you if you make it a year without being captured, but no one around here has made it more than a few hours. We all know the rich can pay for their kids to be skipped over for their full year, no chase, no hiding, no fear necessary. The people of my province aren't so fortunate, and in just twelve hours, it'll be my turn. Quite frankly, I'm scared shitless.

I knew that turning sixteen would mean essentially being kidnapped ever since I was a little girl. I crossed my fingers and used every shooting star, birthday candle, and bedtime prayer on the futile hope that the system would change before my time came. Unless Hell freezes over or pigs start flying in the next twelve hours, I'm screwed.

I've loved growing up in Coterie. Neighbors share crops with each other, families are close-knit, and everyone's a friend. We have each other's backs because we need to. Our survival depends on it.

Other provinces aren't so lucky. Some are under attack, warring with each other. Others operate on an every-man-for-himself model. If I survive the next twelve months of Collation, I better be placed back into Coterie. While a life in Opulence would be the ultimate dream, entry comes with the kind of price tag that most can only be born into. There's no getting assigned into that province, not for me anyway. Staying where I am and at least having my family and some familiar faces from my childhood seems like the best option, not that I have a say in the matter. Wherever I end up, I just hope I'll have friends who will look out for me until I find my footing.

I slide on my black flip-flops and slip my phone into the back right pocket of my jeans. Not using my last day at home to see some of my friends seems like a waste.

I make my way to the kitchen and pull a light green apple from the wooden bowl on the countertop.

"Hey, kiddo," Dad says, adjusting his bright red tie over his crisp, white button-down.

"Hey." I smile. "Where are you going?"

"I have an appointment with a patient."

I nod. Late appointments are typical for him. He's most people's favorite doctor so he's their first phone call when they need something. As far as what tonight's appointment is for, Dad's always vague when it comes to his job. Being a doctor here means you know everyone's business but can share none of it.

"Where's Mom?" I ask.

"Out with the girls." He laughs. "Are you surprised?"

Considering it's my last day here and I haven't seen her yet, I actually am. She can see the neighbors whenever she wants. They go for walks together every morning, trade produce every afternoon, get together for book club once a week. I'm about to leave for a year, and I may not be placed back here. She may never see me again. How could she choose to spend time with her friends over spending time with her daughter today?

"Not one bit." I fake a laugh.

"Heading out?"

I nod. "Gonna hang out with some friends for a bit. Since Mom isn't home anyway."

He glances at his watch for a quick second before his eyes meet mine. "For how long?"

I try not to roll my eyes. "I'll be back with plenty of time to say goodbye to the two of you."

"You're not saying goodbye." He shakes his head. "I'm calling in every favor and pulling every string tonight."

This is the fourth time this week that we've had this conversation, and I wish he wasn't so confident. He's convinced he'll find a way to keep me from the Recruiters for the year and get me out of going to Collation. While I appreciate the effort, I can't help but feel like this time should've been used to prepare me for whatever I'll face over the course of the next year. Everyone is so tight-lipped about it all, a bad sign in this province.