Chapter 4

I wake to the metal lights that hang from the ceiling flashing on and off several times before staying on and eliciting groans from my classmates.

"What time is it?" someone groans.

"Turn those off!" another shouts.

"What's going on?" the girl above me whines.

"Good morning!" one of the women from last night calls as the three enter the room.

"Rise and shine, children!" another yells, clapping her hands as she does. "Get changed into your daytime uniform! There's a toothbrush and basic hygiene items in the bottom of your basket. Be ready in five."

I wipe my eyes as I roll out of bed and pick my basket up off the floor. I set it on my bed and dig through my clothes until I find the ones labeled as the daytime uniform. Black jeans, a black long sleeve shirt, and black combat boots. I can work with that. I do my best to keep myself covered while I change. The jeans are a little baggy in the waist, so I tuck my shirt into the waistband. Including a belt in these baskets would've been nice.

I'm one of the first ones dressed so I grab my toothbrush and toothpaste from my basket and make my way to the bathroom. A couple girls are already at the sinks so I go pee before brushing my teeth. Much to my displeasure, they're still standing at the sinks when I'm done. I wash my hands and try to ignore the fact that they're staring at me in the mirror while I brush my teeth.

"Mackenzie, right?" one asks.

I nod. "How'd you know that?"

"You have sheets," she says like it's the most obvious thing in the world. "You're practically a celebrity now."

"A celebrity." I raise my eyebrows. "I'm just trying to stay out of everybody's way and stay alive long enough to go home at the end of this."

She laughs. "You're funny. I'm Jenna."

A group of boys enters the bathroom, and the girls seem to be on the same page as me and head for the doorway. They follow me over to my bed and sit down on my mattress.

"Do you know what the plan for today is?" Jenna asks.

"Uh, no." I shake my head as I put my toothbrush and toothpaste back into my basket.

"Mackenzie," the girl who told me where to find the sheets last night says with a smile as she approaches my bed. "Let me braid your hair."

Jenna and her friends take the hint and walk away.

"I'm Devin," she says. "You looked like you needed saving."

"I did." I laugh. "Thanks."

"Turn around. One braid or two?"

"Whatever you think will look best."

"Definitely two."

She gets started on my hair and somehow finishes both braids before the three women announce that it's time to go.

"Do you know where we're going?" I whisper to Devin.

"Breakfast," she whispers back. "We get to eat with everyone who's currently going through Collation, regardless of how far in they are."

Jeremy.

I smile at the thought of finally seeing him again.

"Someone's excited." She smirks.

"Just a little."

The group starts moving through a series of hallways before entering the massive room that Chancellor Keating showed us during her presentation last night. The stone walls seem to reach even higher in person and the tables are filled by teenagers in black outfits matching the one I'm currently wearing.