Chapter 6

Today is my fifth day at Collation. The last of my peers' assessments will be conducted this afternoon, and I'm grateful that nobody will continue asking me for information about it. Keeping my mouth shut has made me some enemies, and I'm not a fan of it.

Olivia has been glaring at me every chance she gets, and I'm wondering if she's had a hand in some of my classmates disliking me. She and Nick don't seem to be getting any closer, and he doesn't seem to be finding any problems with me. If someone would've asked me to guess if I'd have issues with someone from Perspicacity or someone from Inimical during Collation, I never would've thought it'd be Perspicacity.

I also never would've thought I'd be this okay with missing home. Not seeing my friends and family sucks, but it's easier than I thought it would be. I can go to Devin when I'm lonely and want some company, I can go to Jeremy when I miss home. While I wish I could give my mom a hug or hang out with Liz, it's not so bad. It just seems like part of what life is right now.

"Ditching me for your boyfriend?" Devin asks as we enter Canteen A together.

"You're the one who makes it ditching." I roll my eyes. "You could join us at his table."

"And sit with all those people who aren't in our class? No way."

"You could learn something from them."

"Sheets, assessment." She rolls her eyes. "What are they gonna tell me that I don't already know?"

"That's fair." I laugh. "I'll see you after lunch."

We go our separate ways and I eagerly sit down at Jeremy's usual table. Calling it our usual table still feels weird. He's had it for six months; I've been here less than a week.

"Hey," he says when he sits down next to me.

"Hey." I smile as I go in to hug him, the stench of sweat hitting my nose before I can even come close to making contact. "Ew, why are you gross?"

He laughs. "I just ran ten miles and then had to lift weights for thirty minutes. We don't get to shower until after dinner."

"That's disgusting."

"You're really not gonna hug me?"

"Do I look like I'm gonna hug you?" I laugh.

"That's cold. Two months ago, you would've killed for a hug."

"Yeah, but I don't have to miss you anymore." I shrug.

He shakes his head with a laugh. "I'll remember that one, Mackenzie."

"I hope you do. I expect you to smell like one of Roy's apple trees next time you see me."

"I'll do my best." He nods. "I'm gonna go grab our lunch."

"Thanks." I hold my breath and kiss his cheek before he heads over to get in line for food. I watch him walk away with a smile on my face. His muscles add to his brown eyes and matching hair to make him even more attractive. When his looks are coupled with his personality, funny and compassionate, he's the perfect guy. And he only has eyes for me. I really am lucky to have him.

"Hey, Sheet Girl," a voice behind me says just before Nick sits down next to me. "That was a half-assed kiss."

I roll my eyes. "Why is your nose in my business?"

"There's not much to do around here." He shrugs. "My assessment is done, training hasn't started yet, most of the girls are annoying. But you two came from one of the most uptight provinces in all of Zeldanda and had a secret relationship for months before starting Collation. Your mediocre love life is really my only source of entertainment for the time being."