Thirty

Riordan

48 hours till.

My body felt heavy as I open my eyes, blinded by the intense sunlight coming through my window.

I hadn't had a good sleep in months and I was surprised to feel incredibly well rested.

It was finally Saturday, and the only thing I could think about was how my father was going to kill me when he finds out I'm sneaking out today.

He'll inevitably find out, but I had to do this.

17 hours ago

Soren

''You want me to put a spell on you?''

I examine the book Riordan gave me. I'd been given a copy of this book years ago by a mentor, and had a feeling what exact spell she wanted me to put on her.

''Precisely, yes.''

Her eyes sparkled when she said this--I think she truly believed that I would want to do this to her.

''I'm not bringing your lost memory back.''

''Come on, Soren--it couldn't hurt. My Mom wrote about Faye being there when I was born--maybe there are other memories I have of her from when I was little.''

''You believe that if I restore your childhood memories that you'll somehow find where she lives?''

''Maybe? It's worth a shot, right?''

I shake my head and pinch the bridge of my nose.

''You have no idea how this warlock thing works. Some spells come at a cost. Your ability comes at a cost. It's how the universe does it's math.''

''God, don't even start with Math. I will literally blow my brains out.''

''Riordan, this is serious. Some memories stay dormant for a reason. I don't want to bring back any past trauma you could potentially have. Maybe there's a reason you don't remember your Aunt Faye--have you ever thought of that?''

''What possible reason could that be?''

''I don't know. It's just a possibility. You're already going through a lot right now and putting another spell on you, I don't think it's a good idea.''

Riordan crosses her arms and smiles mischievously. ''You care about me.''

''I do not have a choice but to care about you. I'm your Guardian.''

''My what?''

''Guardian. And frankly I find you incredibly stubborn and hot-headed.''

''But you still care.''

I crack my neck, aging rapidly from this conversation.

''Sit down.''

''Why--''

"Sit—"

"But why—"

''Just sit the hell down, Riordan--you wanna do this? Let's do it. But don't say I didn't warn you.''