7. We meet again...

As the day got later, the anticipation for the match to start was getting more and more noticeable

As the day got later, the anticipation for the match to start was getting more and more noticeable. It seemed that the Ministry gave up on trying to stop the obvious outbursts of magic that were going on all around.

Merchandiser were Apparating left and right to sell their goods, which is where Alex found herself with her friends.

"Gin, what do you think?" Alex asked as she examined an Irish scarf. "Is it worth it?"

"Yeah, it'll bring out your eyes as well," Ginny responded with a smile.

"Thanks," Alex said before noticing the twins sitting a little ways away, not bothering to look at the merchandise, since they'd bet all of their money. She set the scarf down and walked over to where they stood. "C'mon, I'll buy you something for the match."

"No, we're good," George stated, obviously too proud to let her buy anything, not after raising their bidding money earlier.  "We think we'll just look normal for the match."

"Yeah, we don't want to look like a couple of tossers," Fred added.

Alex frowned.  "So if I buy that scarf, you're saying I'll look ridiculous?" Her tone was soft and almost sounded hurt, causing Fred's eyes to widen.

"N-No!" He exclaimed, worried he'd offended her.  "That's not what I meant-"

But he stopped mid-sentence when Alex began to laugh hysterically.  "You should have seen your face, I really had you there for a second," she laughed, wiping a tear from her eye-line.  "Now c'mon," she stated, linking arms with both of them, "I'm not taking no for an answer."

After much reluctance and fighting on it, they settled for some face paint, as well as scarves and a hat for Fred, which Alex insisted on when he had jokingly put it on. They made it back to the tent to get ready for the match.

"George Weasley, hold still!" Alex exclaimed for the millionth time as she attempted to paint the Irish flags that he wanted in his cheeks.

"I'm sorry!" He exclaimed. "It's just so ticklish!"

She shook her head before finishing. "I did the best I could with how wiggly you were," she told him with a scowl as he climbed from the seat. "Now, c'mere, Fred."

Fred did as she said, pushing his hair from his face as she dipped her fingers into the paint. As she worked her fingers along his face, she did her best to ignore the beating of her heart because the last time their faces were this close, they had been kissing, which was a thought she was trying push from her mind.

Fred, too, was trying to not focus on the fact that he could easily lean over and kiss her again.  He wanted to but it had gone so poorly last time, he didn't want a repeat of it again.  He didn't want to risk his friendship with Alex again...

A few minutes later, she sat back with a satisfied smile. "All done," she stated, clearing her throat and moving to clean her hands and the paint.

"Wait!" Fred exclaimed, grabbing the paint from her. "Let's put a little color on you as well, yeah?"