one

"I think I am going to be sick, I cannot go." Marie-Madeleine says to her brother, Jean-Marc as they begin to walk from the bus stop towards Volitaire High School.

"It is an honour that you are allowed to go at all, be greatful, Marie."

"I will have to be in a class with boys! The entire thing is ridiculous, Marc!" Marie had a flare for dramatics, so when she became set on something there was very little to be done to change her mind. And right now, Marie had decided that high school was not for her and she wanted to be taken back to her all girls catholic school in La Rochelle, not too far but far enough away from the village she found herself in now.

Ever since the age of 8 Marie-Madeleine had been attending St. Mary Magdalen's School for Young Girls, a devout place where the girls were taught more practically than anything. Paint, sew, tailor, cook, pray, play piano. Those were the things that Marie-Madeleine learned at her place of education; the most academic she'd known was learning Latin and English as a way to connect more to her faith.

But now, the year 1963, Marie-Madeleine was 16 years old and her father had decided that she would attend the first ever mixed, boys and girls, high school in their village; Volitaire High. Well, her father Yves would say it was their village but the Martins lived too far away to call anywhere their home - they truly were in the middle of nowhere.

"It will be fine. You forget I have been attending Volitaire forever, the boys in your class will be immature but so was I at that age. All will be fine." Jean-Marc attempted to comfort his little sister but failed sorely, as she wronged out her hand on the skirt of her navy dress. The sound of her heels against the cobblestone rung out ahead of them - alerting the boys of Volitaire of her arrival before the Martin sibling turned to corner and came into view.

Marie-Madeleine felt all eyes turn to face her and she saw several boys stand up from whatever seat they were previously occupying as she walked through the gate. In an attempt to calm her nerves, Marie grabbed the cuff of her brother's suit jacket.

"Please, I don't want to go." Marie looked pleadingly to her brother's frighteningly iced blue eyes, a mirror to her own.

Jean-Marc pitied his younger sister as he saw she was positively terrified about going to the school with boys, having very little interaction with any man other than the priests, himself and their father. Marc pulled his sister close to his chest, wrapping one arm around her head to kiss the navy headband that adorned her head.

"All will be fine, good luck." He had said before letting go abruptly and walking away to a group of boys that seemed to be awaiting him.

Marie-Madeleine stood alone for the first time in her new school and looked for any saving grace. When she thought there was no luck she spotted a head of strawberry blonde hair that caused her to let out a breath she didn't know she was holding; another girl.

"Hello," Marie said softly as she reached the only other girl on the premises so far.

"Oh thank god! I was starting to think I was the only girl here at all!" The light ginger smiled and gingerly hugged Marie before letting go and turning to face the notice board once more. "I'm Michele. Magnan. That is me there." She pointed to the piece of a paper titled: Mrs. Giraud homeroom teacher.

Marie quickly scouted the piece of paper for her name and felt a relief when she saw Marie-Madeleine Martin. God, her name was a handful, her parents had loved the double barrel first name and her initials being MMM was almost comical and embarrassing to write down.

"Marie-Madeleine, same class." She pointed and smiled, Michele's smile only growing fonder but the minute.

By the time the bell for the start of the school day rang, Marie had already met another girl Simone and one of the boys in their class Henri Pichon who had ventured over to check the class listings.

———

I have such a clear picture of Marie but I can't find a perfect fancast! I have so many gorgeous women I keep going between so if you guys have any thought PLEASEEE let me know!!

Don't be a silent reader - show some love !