Chapter 10 the giant's trail

New chapter, I hope you like it.
The English story is finally nearing the last French chapters, which will allow me to continue writing in both languages at the same time.

___________________________________

17th January 2022
17th passage 1 Ogdea 1650
Kingdom of Elose, border with the Empire

The war was raging across the Prabela archipelago, with demons everywhere confronting the guerrilla tactics of the elves, coupled with the relentless assaults of the German army, to such an extent that the frontline had frozen for the demons and even retreated in places.

 In the air, the air force was unable to counter the Germans' anti-aircraft defences, which effectively shot down the planes. Some air bases close to the coast were pounded by missiles launched from the sea.

For several days now, the drones flying over the front had been recording major troop movements, so much so that all the soldiers and vehicles had made a more than disturbing retreat

Subsequently, various groups had been sent out to scout and had found nothing in particular. This had enabled advances of several kilometres into the occupied territory to be made all over the main island.
While the troops advanced with ease at the front, the elves at the centre of operations were in a completely different frame of mind, some even in panic.

In one of the aunts set up by the Germans, the operations general was receiving Elose's chief of staff, who had requested an urgent meeting about the withdrawal of Volciste troops.
"What exactly do you know about this massive withdrawal?" Asked the lieutenant-general as he placed the documents on his table.

The elf swallowed before answering.
"The same situation occurred a few weeks ago, their troops had begun a retreat across the entire front, which provoked us to fight back and advance as far inland as possible. Morale was high and we were ready to face any ambush.
Even our vehicles were on board to assist us and yet it wasn't enough in the face of this new tactic on their part."
"So what happened?" Asked the lieutenant-general.
"That's when everything went up in smoke, I'm not talking about the operation but all the soldiers as well as the machines all went up in smoke.
Reports indicate that a new weapon had been used against us, none of the soldiers could see it but it fired shells at an extraordinary distance and with gigantic power on impact.
Their range of fire was sufficient to hit and knock down the nearest towns." He explained with regret in his voice.

"Are you saying these are shells?" Asked the puzzled lieutenant-general.
"I've heard quite a few accounts and each one describes the same thing, it's as if a cruiser was attacking them from the land."
As the elf finished, the lieutenant-general mumbled something barely audible. "So it's not nuclear."
"I'm going to send some drones to scout around to confirm and see what the threat is." He finished as he escorted the elf outside.

___

The ground in the countryside shook under the gradual passage of the 12th Panzerbrigade, which was accompanied by several Elosian battalions.
The soldiers had launched from the local command post a breakthrough into the abandoned defenses to occupy the airfields located on the west coast. The 8th Reconnaissance Battalion had scoured the area upstream and had spotted nothing in the vicinity.