2. a second first-kiss

Context: Post Episode 58 - what happens the morning after Meerab & Meesam's return, follows Chapter 1. Originally posted on Twitter on July 7 (https://twitter.com/misskaahaani/status/1677305248119963650?s=20)

----------------------------------

The afternoon light, filtering through the semi-closed curtains, bathed the room in a golden hue. In the center of the sprawling bed, a tiny figure lay sprawled out, engrossed in the innocent world of dreams. Murtasim's whisper, a soft murmur filled with adoration, brushed Meerab's ears. "She's completely knocked out."

"She'll be up soon and full of energy." Meerab whispered back, a knowing smile dancing on her lips as she thought of their little whirlwind who would soon wake and transform their calm oasis into a lively playground.

"She's a deep sleeper, just like you." Murtasim remarked. Meerab simply hummed in response, her mind busy traversing the troves of memories she had collected of their daughter. The pattern of her sleep, the curve of her smile, every little detail etched deeply in her heart.

However, Meesam's slumber was a symphony of its own. Unlike Meerab's serene sleep, Meesam's rest was punctuated with sweet little hums, haws, and soft whimpers. The sounds brought a chuckle to Meerab's lips, and worry to Murtasim's brow. "Is she having a bad dream?" He asked, the concern evident in his deep voice.

"Babies make sound, Murtasim." Meerab reassured him, her eyes softening at his concern. How surprised she had been to discover that her delicate little baby was capable of such a diverse array of sounds - not just crying, but humming, giggling, and even the occasional frustrated grunt.

Yet, his worry persisted. "This is normal? Are you sure she doesn't need something? Maybe she's hungry?" He pressed on, his words painting a charming picture of a doting father.

"No, we just fed her." She replied, her voice a soft murmur as she held back a smile, reminiscing about his surprised face when Meesam had shown interest in actual food, he thought she would only drink milk. But she had picked up little smushed pieces of paratha and stuffed them into her mouth happily while Murtasim watched, as if appeased by her appetite and clear love of food.

Meesam was quite the explorer after their late breakfast, a curious sprite filled with contagious energy. She was intrigued by her new environment, touching, inspecting, even trying to taste everything she could reach now that the house was bereft of the presence of multiple guests.

Her laughter echoed throughout the house as she made a playful chase with Murtasim, she would take a few steps, look back at Murtasim as if inviting him to follow her, and then started scurrying away when he took a step, her squeals loud. Watching them, Meerab's heart swelled with a motherly pride. She marvelled at how swiftly Meesam had warmed up to Murtasim, it was as if she had some innate understanding that he was her father.

Despite only being her second day in their house, Meesam had everybody wrapped around her little finger. Both Maa Begum and her father were eager to spend time with her, to shower her with their love. But, to Murtasim's obvious delight, she clung to him and Meerab, refusing to go to anyone else. It was touching to see her look to Murtasim for protection, hiding behind him from those that were strangers to her.

From reaching out for her mother the previous day, Meesam had grown comfortable enough with Murtasim to nestle her face against his shoulder, her small hands clasping his neck as she let him carry her back to their room. It was a change that filled Murtasim with warmth and ignited a flame of joy in Meerab's heart. Observing them, she felt a surge of love for her little family and a pang of longing for Murtasim – a reminder of how much she had missed him.