Chapter Six - Donna

Fine, I'll admit it. I can't handle the pressure anymore. I haven't told anyone yet, about probably the biggest secret of my life. I can't tell Bella. I know that she's going to be disappointed in me. The dreaded truth is that Andrew Thomas was my boyfriend. I would always tell my family that I was going to the library to study, but instead, I would go to places with Andrew for our secret dates. Dad had always forbidden me to date, probably because I was the kid that had lived up to their expectations my entire life. But, I lived under Bella's shadow because of her popularity. I'd known him forever, but it was mostly just Bella and Andrew. They'd known each other since they were four, because of the same preschool they went to. I went to the same preschool, but I was in advanced classes, so Andrew and I were never in the same class. They hung out everywhere, even as they got older. I thought there was some kind of spark they'd never show together, but they both knew they had it. After a while, I thought there was nothing, just two simple friends. Bella dated many guys when she was still friends with Andrew. None of those relationships worked out for more than 6 months. It became a repeated cliché, over and over again. Bella would always break up with the guy she dated, but Andrew would always console her, for some odd reason. Bella was broken up with, she would break up guys. Bella would always tell Andrew first, ignoring me, and Andrew would always console her. I'd usually find out about the break-ups a month or two after it happened, by that time, Bella was already with a new guy. Andrew would make her little baskets with comfort food and gifts and those kinds of sappy things. It wasn't long before I noticed Andrew was seriously in love with her. Like no joke, seriously, seriously in love with her. In my eyes, Bella was and still is a gold digger. She won't appreciate and notice the clear love in front of her.
He'd flirt with her, but Bella was so blind, she couldn't notice or she thought the flirting was all just a big, fat joke. I was getting frustrated because she couldn't see what was right in front of her. But no one needed the stupid little sister anyways. I'd spot them doing tons of activities together, knowing that Andrew wanted to spend more and more time with Bella. One day, he asked her if they could be more than just friends, he wanted them to date. Bella refused because she didn't want it to be too awkward. But seriously, that was more awkward than being friends with someone you turned down. Bella needed to get a life. Andrew was super down the next few days and I met him at our science olympiad end-of-the-year party at my friend's house. We were both super drunk, which was rare and unusual for Andrew.

We went into my friend's room and "hung out" or whatever you'd call it to keep it PG. The next morning, I woke up from the worst hangover feeling ever and Andrew came into my friend's room, looking incredibly embarrassed about what happened last night. He knew we both didn't want to talk about it, but he came close to me, pulled my face towards his, and kissed me. It left this weird, tingling feeling in my stomach, knowing that it was going to happen again. He told me he loved me and he left the room. I needed more time to process and understand what had just happened and whether it really happened, so I left the party. Andrew came over later that afternoon, "to meet Bella". Bella wasn't home, so Dad invited him in. Big mistake. I still hadn't gotten over last night and he knocked on my door. This was the moment, take it or break it. He came in and we made out for 5 minutes. The silence after that was pretty uncomfortable and maybe even a little scary. I remember time was moving so slowly, I needed it, but at the same time, I wanted it to end. I felt like I was betraying Bella, but she had never done anything for me. This was the revenge of a lifetime. I was rebelling against my parents, too.

A year later, Andrew and I had gotten into full relationship mode, but secretly, of course. We both didn't want to go public for the same reason: we'd hurt my sister. Andrew and I wanted her to know, but we didn't. We continued it for an amazingly long amount of time. I'd hate to say this, but we went behind my sister's back and we'd been together for 2 years, until now. If I reveal my dirty truth, I'll lose the faith and trust my sister has in me. If Bella tells our family, I'd never get a friendly, fatherly smile from Dad. I'll lose everything I'd ever earned in this house, including a little bit of respect from Mom. Mom is insane, and no one would ever hear that from me, but

I'm leaving work, trying really, really, incredibly hard to connect with nature on this scenic and beautiful, secret trail that Bella and I found when we were four. I've confessed to my heart about what I did with Andrew and I'm going to make an attempt to forget about the deadly sin I committed. I don't think that many people know about this trail, I've seen people walking or jogging through it sometimes, but never too many people. There's a rumor circling the people that know about this trail, that Mom made this trail when she was just a young kid, don't even ask me how. I'm baffled by it, every time I go. It's a really, completely magical trail. I want to clear my mind and I want to feel better. I try to clear my mind, hoping I forget that this ever happened, and try to live my life in happiness. It's never gonna happen. I start daydreaming about the date I was supposed to have today, at Sunset Beach. But, I'm scared. I haven't been on this trail for at least 10 years. It could be worse now. I push my body, forcing each step, even though I'm getting a feeling to run toward the exit.

As I cautiously tread through the dark, but breathtakingly-beautiful forest, and a shiver trails down my spine. Just because this trail was secret, didn't mean other people didn't know about it. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up and my heart rate increased as I hurried up. I've heard a few rumors of weird disappearances happening in this area, I remembered in the news a year ago, and my nerves began to get the best of me. A mysterious figure covered in dark light stood there, next to a tall tree. I began to. I stood there, attempting to catch my breath and understand what had just happened. The feeling of being watched had disappeared, replaced with peace in my brain. But I continued walking, ignoring the exit, which is a big wooden sign with paint dripped over it, reading "EXIT" with an arrow pointing towards a clearing in the forest. The clearing leads to a lake, and in front of the lake, there's a little cottage where the "witch" lives.

I needed more of "connecting with nature". It's hard to go back to reality now. If I live in this forest just long enough, the people will stop dying, my part of the town will be rich, our problems will disappear and I'll go back to the happy, normal life I've always yearned for.

I stumble over a shrub and land face-first into a bush. I lay there, in the most awkward-looking, and not to mention awkward-feeling position possible, not even sure how to move, nor how to get back up on my feet. I just stay in the bush for about 5 minutes, when I realize there's something wrong with my face. My body. My skin. Something's wrong. It's so itchy, I could scratch off my face, and my skin, and not feel a thing. I want to scratch off my face. I reach my fingers, towards my face, my brain begging me to not scratch. My face feels weird like it's bumpy, like acne? I'm no doctor, well I kinda am, but I know for a fact that there is something wrong with my skin. I somehow, questionably manage to get out of the bush, determined to see what's wrong with me. I pull out my phone and go to the camera app. I flip the camera around, to selfie mode. I almost get jump-scared by my face.