¹⁰ ᥴ᥆ᥲᥴһ ᥣіkᥱs 𝗍ᥱᥲ

Monday

And we're back at it again. Hopefully, Atsumu wasn't as moody as on Saturday. I just couldn't figure out what got him in such a bad mood. Might as well ask him today.

Coach's gonna return today... me, personally, I'm not looking forward to it. To clear up a few things. I don't believe she is a bad coach but she has a weird way of teaching. No, she's been coaching the girls team of my school for almost 5 years now and the results speak for themselves. The team went to nationals all five years and won twice. To be honest, I'm glad if we even make it this year. Coach's favourite players are gone. They were not only her favourites but also extremely talented ones. The old setter was exceptional and her middle blocker was super fast and tall. Our late libera also left. They all graduated last year. The squad is limited this year. Asami is a good libera but she's still dealing with the aftermath of her injury. Sayo and Kei are uncommonly tall but I can't get their timing right. There's too much that I'm unsure about. Emi is beyond normal height standards. At least I can get her timing right. She's also incredible when it comes to read blocks. A very fast player on the court. I'm not quite sure about how coach will decide on the outside hitters but I know for sure that Mika is playing opposite. Simply because there is no other option. She could put me in that position but then we would miss out on Mika extraordinarily hard spikes and were definitely in need of them if we want to go to nationals. She will be the centre of our offense. There are a few teams that do that as well. It's not rare to choose such a lineup.

The bell marked the end of the school day. I went out of the classroom and directly into the gym. I was motivated to just get it over with. A few people were already gathered in the changing room. That included Sayo, Kei, Yoko and Asami. Mika was nowhere to be seen yet because she had PE before and the third years were probably just getting out of class now. I changed really not engaging in any conversations regarding boys at our school with the other four. When I walked in coach was already there. She seemed motivated for some reason and also a little excited? I greeted her friendly and prepared the equipment we needed. As soon as I was finished I started stretching and continued with my normal warm up. With time more of my teammates came in.

Coach called for a meeting. „Girls, come here for a sec. I have an announcement to make." She looked around. „Okay, girls. I was able to score us a training match against another team from this prefecture next week. They also went to nationals these past years. It's only two more weeks until the interhigh preliminaries and we need to focus more on training. I except you to give it your all and not skip training. After next weeks match I will announce the main lineup and give you your jersey. I was informed we had a change in the color scheme. As for the ones who still have their old ones. You can just keep them. The school also paid for new training suits. So be thankful and show them your gratitude by playing exceptionally." That was one hell of a monologue. It had a good mixture of pressure and motivation. We all loudly agreed with her.

Training went on smoothly everyone was doing the best they could. I presented Mika the float serve Atsumu had practiced with me on Friday. Of course, I still had a long way to got before I get it right but I was proud either way. „Y/N, you know what?" „What?" „When you get that, please just copy Atsumu. It would be hilarious." Mika pleaded. „What do you mean ‚copy Atsumu'?" „Well, didn't you notice yet? He always has a different routine that goes with one of his serves. Pay attention to the number of the steps he does before every serve!" „Okay, I'll try." „Would be pretty funny in my humble opinion." She summed.

„Y/N!" I heard Yoko's screeching. I looked around to find her standing next to me vividly pointing with her eyes towards the stands. I followed her gesture just to make eye contact with the blonde setter. What the actual flying fuck?! Didn't he need to practice himself? How is allowed to simply skip? He didn't seem to notice my stare tho because he was focused on scribbling something in his notebook. Yoko looking at me with a demanding face. She wanted to see my reaction desperately. „Oh, he's here again." I just said. „HE MUST BE INTO SOMEONE HERE!" She whisper-screamed. „Well, I wouldn't know." I defended myself. „Aren't you excited!?" „Nah, I don't really care about him all that much." I wasn't lying, it just wasn't the full truth. „Well, I'm excited. He left the last two times before I could get a word with him! Maybe today is my chance!" Girl, he isn't leaving... he's still in the gym. I didn't speak my thoughts out loud. Yoko stopped pestering me after a while and went on with practice. Emi still gave me these weird looks like she wanted to say something but she kept quiet. My guess is, she wanted to laugh at Yoko for her behavior and the stage of delusions she has reached. Well, I shouldn't care. I needed to focus training to not disappoint coach so I commenced with the exercises she had given us.

„Atsumu Miya, could you stop distracting my girls with your presence every few days..." I heard Coach's voice. She sounded annoyed as hell. „Don't you have training yourself?" „My coach is sick and we decided to skip it for a day." „Okay, but that still doesn't explain why you're always lurking around here!" „I'm waiting for my friend." She sighed. „Well, then just keep quiet." „Will do, Ma'am!" He was polite... I expected him to be a little cocky. I was surprised that she didn't investigate him any further.

After training everyone left to get changed but Coach was still there. Normally, she left early. What was she still doing here?
I put one of the nets away and returned to the stands to greet Atsumu. „So you're the friend mister setter here was talking about." I turned around to see my coach standing there, grinning. Outside of volleyball she was actually really sweet and always up for some tea. „Well, Miss. Am I not allowed to be her friend?" He answered for me. „Of course, it's just I've never heard her talk about you and my girls talk a whole lot." She laughed. „To be honest, you're one of the few people that I didn't expect to be involved with him, Y/N." „Well, you never know." I chuckled when I finally regained my composure. „When did you guys start to get along so well? I haven't seen you talking before." I looked at him and shrugged. He copied me. „Ah never mind I will stop pestering you. Have fun practicing and don't forget to lock the gym, Y/N." She walked out. „Will do and thank you."

We just looked at each other. Atsumu was the first to open his mouth. „What was that?" „Do I look like I know?" „I didn't know she was so chill." „Didn't she berate you for coming here and distracting us?" „You heard that?" „Yeah." „I'm still not sure what all that was about." „Didn't I tell you about the girls on my team that like you so much?" „Oh yeah, I kinda forgot about that." he answered truthfully. „To be honest, Coach is always very nice outside of training even to me so I can't really despise her you know. She always calls us ‚her girls' it's actually really cute." He just nodded acceptingly.

„Well, do you want to start training? I wrote a few things down that you should pay a little more attention to." „What kind of things?" „Float-serve related things."

We practiced until I was exhausted. „I think that's enough for today, don't you agree?" He asked looking at me. I was drenched in sweat and panting like crazy. „Come on, just a few more." I pleaded. He sighed. „You don't know when to stop, do you?" „It's fun!" „You've improved so much already. I didn't know I was such an exemplary teacher." He winked. „Thank you." „I'm just glad to have student who's talented and willing to put in so much work." „I'm honored." Atsumu gave me a water bottle. „Let's stop for today. I don't want you collapsing on the way home." „I'm not gonna do so. I promise."

Together we cleaned the gym and I left to shower and change my clothes. He waited for some reason. A nice gesture as always.

„It's two more weeks until the preliminaries start, right?" „Yeah, I am a little scared." „Why would you be scared?" „Cause we might not go to nationals for the first time in 5 years and I am scared that it might be because of my performance." „Are you joking?" He sounded angry. „No? It's just that I still can't get the first years timing on the quick attack right..." He sighed defeated. „Y/N, I've told you already, you've improved immensely. You're gonna do a great job. I promise. I have also gotten a wind of your practice match next week. I'm gonna watch and prove you wrong. You're definitely gonna play amazing. So stop worrying." He turned to me. „HEY STOP CRYING WTF?!" „IM NOT CRYING! THATS JUST SO SWEET OF YOU TO SAY." I argued back.

„You're gonna do great. I promise." He jokingly put his arm around my shoulder and pulled me closer.

Words: 1682