Chapter two

Lilian unpacked her and Marigold's things listening with one ear to the baby's chirping. She couldn't stop thinking about this man's eyes. They were so kind and pure. There was something about them that made her sure he would understand her. And he looked at her. Truly saw her. Lilian sighed. Or maybe ships can fly. Why did she even think about such nonsense? Didn't she learn the hard way that men shouldn't be trusted?

-What will we do now, Miss Kays?- Marigold asked.

-Marigold-They heard from another room.

-Maybe we should check your parents?

Their cabins were as luxurious as promised, fresh flowers perfuming the air. Lilian could hardly smell the new varnish under their scent. Lord Greenwood bid them goodbye as he left to go witness the engine room during the launch and lady Greenwood was impatiently tapping on the table.

-Miss Kays, your services will not be needed now. Marigold we will go to the café. I saw Mrs. de Villers and she invited us.

-Do I have to go?-Marigold asked quietly squeezing Lilian's hand tighter.-May I stay with Miss Kays?

-Don't talk nonsense- The child's mother said sternly.-Mrs. de Villers would like to see you.

Lilian assumed it was more about Lady Greenwood being able to boast about her daughter but it wasn't her role to make an objection.

-Yes, milady.

-You're free for now, come back before dinner.

Lilian nodded.

When they were gone she felt the Titanic's engines wake up under her feet and realized they were about to set sail. Well if she doesn't have anything to do she can go and observe it. Of course, she got lost twice while going to the deck. However, she consoled herself with the thought that she had met several people who were as lost as she was. Coming out onto the Boat Deck was like being slapped with noise and light when compared to the below decks. The crowds were cheering, the steam was rattling through the funnels, and the sun was shining brightly. Lilian pushed her way to the rail to see waving people below. She smiled and waved back. No matter she didn't know anyone. Well mother and Edward knew she would be back in a month so they decided they didn't have to say goodbye to her. She wasn't angry. Well not very much angry.
The Titanic let out a loud whistle as she began to move away from the dock, pulled seaward by tugs. Once the ship was away from the dock she heard a slight popping sound and felt a little vibration build below all the decks. She could almost see the great engines beginning to revolve. The cheering on the ship grew louder. Even the first- class passengers seemed delighted.
But suddenly she saw something. One of the ships that had been tied to the dock was slowly sliding towards them. "New York" was written on its side. Lilian felt that vibrations stuttered and stopped, the propellers slowed. The smaller boat swung closer, but she could see the line thrown from the tug, secured to the stern of the other ship and slowly pulled back.

Lilian looked over. It was amazing how quickly the Titanic moved away from the little ship. She wondered what happened. Was it just an unimportant incident? On the scale of the entire trip, it was only a moment, right? But it was the first time she felt a bad feeling settle in her stomach. She thought that perhaps it was a bad idea to board the ship. But the day was bright and they slowly drifted away, so Lilian forced the bad feeling away.

She knew they were going to go to Cherburg then Queenstown and then just the Atlantic and at the end of the journey New York. Despite how this journey began for her Lilian was curious about what the new world would look like. Would it be better than old? Not for women she supposed. She looked down at the second- and third-class promenades. Women with children were walking after men. Women's fate is always the same. Lilian frowned and shook her head. There is no point in thinking about what cannot be changed.