Chapter 5:witch(1)

Entering the Fantasy Demon Forest, Enlaike realized their team was ill-suited for deep mountain travel. First, let's talk about personal equipment. Kate insisted on carrying his greatsword, citing self-defense. Enlaike had suggested replacing the cumbersome weapon with a long spear, but Kate firmly disagreed. Aside from his sword, Kate's gear was reasonably appropriate. Bertina's choice to bring multiple sets of clothes (three sets of underwear, three long dresses, three skirts, a formal dress, and a bathrobe) was excessively burdensome. Yet, all these clothes combined weighed less than the items Jerry brought: five hundred gold coins, five hundred silver coins, and five hundred copper coins. Astonishing!

Enlaike proposed returning to the village at the entrance of the Fantasy Demon Forest to reequip and then proceed. Only Kate considered this, while the others ignored it. Bertina outright refused to leave her clothes behind.

After trudging through the forest for a day and a night, Bertina and Jerry compromised due to the hardships they faced. The group had to turn back, and after another day and night, they emerged exhausted from the jungle. Along the way, they agreed that Enlaike would arrange all equipment, with no objections from anyone.

Upon reaching the village, they first found an inn. After learning about the village from the innkeeper, Bertina and Jerry went to rest. Kate and Enlaike took on the task of purchasing equipment and supplies.

The village was frequented by many each year, mostly merchants buying furs and precious herbs during spring and autumn, and hunters entering the Fantasy Demon Forest to hunt or capture rare beasts for trade. Hence, the village had ample supplies. After a round of shopping, not only did they buy the needed equipment and supplies, but they also unexpectedly acquired a simple map of the Fantasy Demon Forest from a fur trader. Enlaike also bought everyone a set of lightweight travel gear, appreciating the craftsmanship and design. He even considered having his father buy some of these goods for their store back home.

At the village's blacksmith, Enlaike picked out four long spears and two machetes, despite already having a folding machete prepared by his father. The craftsmanship of the blacksmith, primarily serving the villagers, impressed him enough to make the purchase. The weapons, though simple, were made with a meticulous folding technique, showing detailed steel patterns and sharp edges, much superior to mass-produced blades.

The blacksmith, pleased with Enlaike's appreciation, invited them to choose suitable tools from his workshop. There, Enlaike found several useful tools, including a well-crafted multipurpose mountain pickaxe made from someone else's design. Deeming it practical, the blacksmith had made several. Enlaike also chose three darts, five thin-bladed knives, and a small iron chain three meters long and as thick as a finger.

On their way back to the inn, they stopped by a local hunter's home to buy a hunting bow and two quivers of arrows for their personal use.

Returning to the inn loaded with goods, they found Bertina and Jerry asleep.

Enlaike studied the map, while Kate fiddled with the newly acquired hunting bow.

As the evening approached, Bertina and Jerry, too exhausted, refused to get up for dinner, leaving Enlaike and Kate to dine alone.

Thanks to the forest's proximity, game and mountain produce were abundant, making their dinner exceptionally satisfying. They generously rewarded the innkeeper, who in turn was very grateful and answered all of Enlaike's questions thoroughly. For those questions he couldn't answer, he promised to have responses by morning.

Back in their room, Kate asked Enlaike a question that had been on his mind: "You said it's your first time traveling far from home, so why do you seem like an experienced traveler?" Enlaike explained, "Growing up in the store helping my father, most of our customers were travelers. Our store also sells coffee, and these travelers often stop by for a cup. Listening to their stories and discussions, I've learned a lot."