Mirror Chapter 1 - Crippling Fear

Monokuma: Puhuhuhu~! Hello, everyone! It's me, your friendly, neighborhood bear of despair! Betcha didn't know I would be crashing onto the scene. I just couldn't resist the urge to uproot this... *gags* hopeful paradise for teen terrorists. They should be out there doing my hopeless bidding. Honestly! It's like they don't remember how kind I was to personally mentor them in despair.

Usami: Hey!! What are you doing in this story? This is supposed to be about building love and friendships. We don't need your ugly mug to do that!

Monokuma: Really now? *beats her up and turns her into Monomi*

Monomi: No...! Anything but this form...! I don't wanna look like you!

Monokuma: Too bad~!

Monomi: Whatever you do, don't hurt the students...! They need to collect the Hope Fragments.

Monokuma: What a buncha nonsense! The readers are here for actual honest-to-god romance! TRUE love comes from adversity. And what better adversity is there... than in a killing game~?

Monomi: Whaaa—?? That's not a healthy way to build relationships...!

Monokuma: These readers don't want your namby-pamby kumbaya crap! Get lost!

Monomi: *crying as she waddles away* I don't know why love and friendship are so under-appreciated...

Monokuma: A-hem! To all my wonderful readers. What you are reading now is known as a Mirror Chapter. These are the "what-if" universes where I, Monokuma, infiltrate the Jabberwock Island simulation! Prepare to see REAL love and drama... as classmates start killing each other~! I hope you all enjoy it!

– –

You had barely made it to Jabberwock Island when things spiraled and took a turn for the worst. A monochromatic bear, a killing game, class trials, motives, doubt... You couldn't help but hold your head in despair when the robotic creature finally disappeared, leaving you and your classmates alone in the plaza. Everyone stared at each other with defensive glances, each trying to scope out who would be most likely to murder to win their way off of this island.

"Craaaaap...! This is really... really bad...!" Kazuichi whimpered as tears poured down his face like runny eggs. The mechanic shrunk himself down as much as he could to avoid attention.

"Everyone, stay calm!" bellowed an authoritative group from the crowd. "This is no time to start panicking. That's just what the bear wants us to do."

Byakuya stepped forward with his arms crossed. Despite Monokuma's declaration that a killing game was going to start, Byakuya didn't seem at all bothered by it. If anything, it only made him more confident in himself. His confidence seemed to rub off on the students around him, and everyone congregated to hear what he had to say. You sincerely hoped he had a plan or some calming words to defuse the tension.

"That creature... We don't know if it's telling the truth or trying to make us hysterical. However, just because we don't know for sure does not mean we can afford to take this lightly. Monokuma could be serious about this," Byakuya warned earnestly. "As long as the killing game could be real, we need to be prepared. We need to stay unified so we can stand against the threat."

Hiyoko blew a raspberry in her direction and shook her head so her blonde pigtails swished around. "There is no way we're going to unite! Not while one of us could be plotting murder already! We're all perfect strangers."

Byakuya nodded at her point. "Yes, I understand. We are not familiar with each other, but we still need to form an alliance. All of us want to leave this island. We all have something to fight for and return to. As long as those factors are true, we should all agree that everyone here is worth more alive than dead."