awful auntie

as lee turned onto aunt grace's street, sasha became tense with nerves. she didn't know why. why did she get so scared everytime? if anything, aunt grace should be scared of sasha. she was the one with a godly parent, unbeatable aim, unmatched knife skills. so why did aunt grace get in sasha's head so much? 

maybe it was the way grace treated her: dirty looks telling her she shouldn't exist, harsh words telling her she shouldn't exist, violent actions telling her she shouldn't exist-

lee reached over and squeezed sasha's hand, pulling her out of her destructive thoughts. he gave her a kind smile.

very few people knew much about sasha's relationship with her aunt and uncle. lee was one of the few. along with annabeth chase, her best friend from cabin 6, athena, silena beauregard, the counsellor for cabin 10, aphrodite, and luke castellan, counsellor for cabin 11, hermes. grover knew they didn't have a good relationship, but not much more. 

silena knew the most. silena was like an older sister to sasha. being one of the only current campers who was there when sasha first started, she dealt with lots of young sasha's tears and nightmares and general annoyances. 

and even silena didn't know the whole truth. 

luke also knew a lot. he knew sasha's past, why she joined camp so early. he knew how her family treated her. he took her in instantly when he joined camp, the summer after her, and immediately treated her as his own. sasha considered luke her mentor and brother. 

lee knew enough, about the same as annabeth - sasha couldn't put a burden like that on a fellow child when she had her own family issues. he instantly took young sasha under his wing, working with silena to keep her calm and help her thrive. he loved his little sister, yet treated her with respect, acknowledging how her tough past matured her. 

"it's alright. it'll be fine," lee reassured her, "it'll take no time. you'll be in and out."

sasha nodded, still slightly distant. "in and out. yeah."

with that, sasha unbuckled her seatbelt and opened the door to get out of the suv. relax sasha. just 5 minutes to get the stuff. for annabeth. do it for annabeth.

"hey," lee called out as sasha was about to close the door. sasha looked up to him. 

"you're strong. way stronger than me," he told her determinedly. he didn't do it in a mushy, you're so strong kind of way. sasha knew lee wasn't like that. he meant it. 

sasha just gave him a tight smile, though her eyes told him she was freaking out inside. she shut the door and turned towards the house. her house. she hopped on the spot slightly, shaking her hands as though shaking out her nerves, attempting to almost hype herself up. 

her aunt and uncle owned a condo, on the smaller side compared to the rest of the neighbourhood, but still considerably large from sasha's point of view. running up the wall on the left side of the door was a large pipe, reachable by the recycling bins, with ridges jutting out every foot or so, leading up to a large window. sasha's room. the large window usually let plenty of light into her room, though currently the curtains were drawn tightly shut. sasha never shut the curtains. the pipe was sasha's means of sneaking out on the rare occasion she was actually staying at her aunt's and uncle's. it was pretty much your average american home, though sasha hoped what happened within its walls were anything but average. 

sasha walked up to the front door, pulling out her key, slipping it into the lock and twisting it for the click. she pushed the door open and stepped inside, staying alert in case her aunt or uncle were home. they didn't seem to be. sasha shut the door behind her and began to move through the house, feeling slightly more relaxed.