we send a gift to the gods xoxo

sasha:

"Three Kindly Ones. All three at once."

"Come on! The farther away we get, the better."

"All our money was back there. Our food and clothes. Everything."

"Well, maybe if you hadn't decided to jump into the fight-"

"What did you want me to do? Let you get killed?"

"You didn't need to protect us, Percy. We would've been fine."

"Sliced like sandwich bread, but fine."

"Shut up, goat boy."

"Tin cans...a perfectly good bag of tin cans."

I stayed silent, half-registering the others' complaining, trapped in my own mind. The last piece of my mum: gone. And you know whose fault it was? The gods. It was all the fucking gods' fault. Because having my mother was too much; so she gets taken away. Then having my father is too much; so he has to become distant. Then of course I can't spend my whole year at camp because it actually feels like home, so obviously I have to get chucked in with my abusive Aunt and Uncle. Then, after putting up with that for over 6 years, I get sent on a fucking quest, because I was wrongfully accused of stealing. And now, I don't even get to keep my last memory of my mum. Thanks a lot.

Heat was almost radiating from my skin as my anger boiled. The pouring rain seemed to sizzle slightly as it hit my body.

Or that could have been my tears.

Who knows.

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── ·

I hadn't registered how long we were walking for, but the thunderstorm had finally let up. The city glow faded behind us, leaving us in almost total darkness. I finally noticed how Annabeth had slowly shifted back in our group to walk beside me. I wasn't not sure how long she had been there, but the realisation comforted me. She was talking to Percy about something, but she was interrupted by a shrill toot-toot-toot, like the sound of an owl being tortured. 

"Hey, my reed pipes still work!" Grover cried. 

I huffed out a chuckle. Annabeth reached out and squeezed my left hand (the less burned one): she had been giving me time to process with a comforting presence whilst not being overwhelming in my vulnerable state. She may not seem it, but my best friend was very emotionally intuitive. Or at least for me, anyway.

"If I could just remember a 'find path' song, we could get out of these woods!"

He puffed out a few notes, but the tune still sounded suspiciously like Hilary Duff.

Instead of finding a path, Percy immediately slammed into a tree. I couldn't help the giggle escaping me. Annabeth and Grover both doubled over, rushing forward together, laughing hysterically. 

Percy muttered a curse and fell back slightly as he rubbed his forehead tenderly. 

He ended up falling into step right next to me.

He continued to walk casually. I couldn't see much in the growing darkness, but one thing I could make out were his intense green eyes. Beautifully green like the sea...

The silence was gnawing at me. And he just kept strolling peacefully, content in the silence. 

He was annoying.