Chapter 12 - Their Meeting Place

Chapter 12

Their Meeting Place

As she neared the statue, she spotted him, and she breathed a sigh of relief. He had his back to her but there was no mistaking the glorious head of golden hair. He was dressed now in light brown riding breeches tucked inside riding boots. He was in the company of two very noticeable men - noticeable both in their stature and their too-formal outfit in the hot summer weather. Neither fit the description of what she'd heard about the prince. She frowned, debating with herself whether to approach or turn around.

"There you are." Richard turned around, as if sensing her presence, and made all thoughts of running away evaporate from her head with a smile that made it quite impossible to take her eyes off his face. She staggered to a stop. "I was beginning to wonder if you were coming."

The morning sun immersed him in its golden rays, making him look as if he materialised out of the sun. His sunshine hair was parted to one side so that the long bangs fell across his forehead and to keep them from falling into his eyes, he had a headband wrapped around his forehead. Although he still looked slender, he looked leaner and more athletic without a coat on, a physique that was built outdoors tending a farmland or emerged in an activity equally tasking physically. His complexion was, however, a shade too pale and his demeanour too elegant to fit a common farm worker. Could he be a son of a noble of lower standing who supervised field work and perhaps actively involved himself from time to time?

"You came alone," he noted.

"My maid became a little ill this morning." She mumbled, busying herself with the horse reins so she wouldn't have to meet his gaze. "I didn't inform my aunt because she would have stopped me from coming altogether. So long as she stays in her room, which she gave me her solemn promise she would, my aunt will rest assured believing she came with me."

"Hm. The countess allowing her niece out alone with a gentleman chaperoned by only a handmaid is something I found baffling to begin with. Now, the handmaid doesn't even come along."

"Actually, a couple of times, I've been allowed to take a tour alone with my handmaid, although frankly, I haven't ventured this far on my own before."

"I see." He turned his attention to the tall, hostile-looking gentlemen behind him who returned her nervous glances with bold stares. "These are my loyal associates, Jack and Sampson. I'm obligated to bring them along with me each time I leave my father's home. I hope you don't mind if they tuck along because I won't be able to get rid of them even if I try, much unfortunately you'd say. They have the responsibility to always keep me within their sight when I'm outside."

So those two gentlemen had seen them dance in the garden? She thought no one witnessed her permitting a stranger to steal her into some remote area for a dance as intimate as a waltz. She felt so embarrassed at the thought she felt her face grow very warm.

"Let me assist you with your mount?" he offered. She noticed that when he stepped forward, the two men also did until he brushed them off with a curt sweep of his hand. That tiny display of authority made her feel a little bit at ease, glad the hand of authority was not the other way round.

She placed her hand in his and for a second time, she felt the tightening grip of his hand and his strong arm around her back as she heaved herself up with his support. He mounted and so did his close associates, each looking majestic upon a black stallion.

"We wouldn't go too far, would we?"

"We won't if you don't want us to. We will stay close to people and never stray from the normal trail," he replied.

She had a feeling his eyes were mocking her. She straightened up with pride on her mount, determined to show him she wasn't a frightened little lady.

They set off.

As they cantered around the city square, Daisy could not help but notice the attention they earned. She felt conspicuous like a decorated clown in an entertainment show, only instead of applauding and cheering, the surprised spectators they passed by gawked in an unsettling manner. Was it such an astonishing sight to see a lady ride with three gentlemen by her side? She was worrying about how much trouble she would be in if someone recognized her and reported the matter to her aunt when one gentleman came close and bowed to Richard. Richard smiled and bowed back. He didn't look stunned by the reaction from the onlookers.

"What is it?" he smiled when he saw her watching him wonderingly. "Do you find it surprising that I am well known? How am I to arrange an introduction with Prince Richard and beg him in your behalf to sit for a painting if I don't have fame at least?"

"My cousin said Prince Richard never comes out of the palace to ride around the city."

"I suppose that's true. He has indeed been accused of being a lazy hag who doesn't move without a carriage as a matter of fact."

"Then how do you intend to succeed with your arrangement, I'm curious."

"Would you stake a second waltz on it?"

"Well, a gentleman always keeps his promise."

"I am aware of that." His eyes gleamed with amusement.

"I'd like to see you try to fulfil your promise," she stated emphatically and he laughed.

They rode for almost eight miles then when the population thinned, they made a return journey. The sun was fully up and hot and she was sticky with sweat. Richard's shirt was drenched. Amazingly, the two associates who were dressed in black suits with neck ties looked as unruffled as they had been before they began the journey.