Chapter 2 - Pity

As soon as you found your best friend, all the panicky feelings you held in a bottle poured out.

Sakura shook her head in pity. "Your doll? I remember seeing it on your floor. Then it disappeared."

"I checked everywhere and couldn't find it!" You exclaimed.

"Ask Pardo. She's awesome at finding things." She gave you a hopeful smile.

"Thanks, Sakura." You nodded. But it wasn't enough to hide the sad glint in your eyes.

Of course, Sakura wouldn't let that slide. "Let's change the topic. Rin and I are going to make bracelets tonight!"

"Sounds exciting. Could I join you guys?"

"That depends," Sakura said. "Will it cheer you up?"

You smiled and hugged her. "Of course."

In the meeting room, you waited for Pardofelis. In the nick of time, she arrived but wore a cute black dress over her snowy white turtleneck.

"Pardo!"

She turned her head to you. "Hi, Y/N!"

"Hey. When you dropped by for a movie night, have you seen a doll?"

"Sure did! Does it have a missing shoe, rose cheeks, and black hair?"

Your eyes lit up. "That's exactly what my doll looks like! It went missing and I can't seem to find it."

She frowned. "Uhm..."

"What?"

"Nothing. It's k-kinda cold today. The weather, huh?" She said, shuddering.

You sternly asked, "Pardofelis. Where's my doll?"

"N-no idea! I totally didn't see any doll. I should probably get going, haha!" Before she could walk away, you shot cold icy daggers at her.

Suddenly, it hit you. No wonder Pardo wore a brand new outfit today. Yesterday, Sakura and Pardo came over for a movie night in your room. Unfortunately, the doll had went missing after they had left.

"...Do you know how much that little doll meant to me? I had her since I was five." You calmly said.

Pardo froze, her eyes wide and disturbed at the tone of your voice. The temperature felt like it dropped a hundred degrees.

"She was a gift from my grandmother before she passed away. The audacity to sell it, thinking it was some old useless rag."

The room sank into silence. At this point, everyone's gaze swiveled to you.

Pardofelis shrank out of fear. "I-I'm sorry. I thought you wanted to throw it out. It was old and dirty. And it had a missing shoe, just like you said."

You sighed, trying not to burst into tears. "Thanks a lot. You ruined my day."

Before she could respond, you walked out, but you felt something cold on your shoulder. But you couldn't care less.

...

"Sir, please listen to me! I need it back for my friend. This doll means a lot to her. Won't you give up something you love for a friend?"

"Hmmm. That does sound sweet," he grinned. "But, no." He slams the door shut.

Pardo groaned. Mr. Stubborn couldn't be bothered by heartfelt connotations.

She knocked again, desperately. "Just listen! You can take whatever you want from my shop, in exchange for the doll. It's only a one in a lifetime opportunity!"

Again, the door clicked open. Pardo's eyes lit up.

He said, "Miss, I'm trying to eat my fruit platter, but you keep interrupting me."

Pardo angrily clenched her fists. "Give me that doll or I'll have Can attack you!"

He sighed. "You don't understand how special this doll is to me. It's antique and rare. I can sell this for a million bucks!"

"All you seek for is money and profit! Your heart is so blinded by cash and luxuries that you can't even see the true meaning behind this doll!"

"Hmm, I suppose you're correct. I seek for worthiness as well, not just money and profit!"

"Ugh, you...! Give me that doll!"

"Do you have million? Nope. This doll is still mines." He slammed the door.

"What a snotty stuck-up!" Pardofelis furiously wanted to send Can to scratch him and his little fruit platter. But I can't do that! Violence is never the answer.

Mr. Stubborn unfortunately wouldn't change his mind. Her shoulders slumped as she walked away.

The only way to get it back from him was to somehow magically earn a hefty ton of money, and then purchase it from him. No offense, but going by looks, that doll is worth less than a rotten apple found on a sidewalk.