xi. castles crumbling

xi. CASTLES CRUMBLING
wc, 8069

content warnings: blood and injury references

Ahsoka heard the sun calling her name.

Emptiness surrounded her. She didn't know where she was. The last thing she could recall was being imprisoned by the Son and being injected by something. . . Why was she alone? Where was Violet, Anakin and Ilara? Were they safe? Had the Son taken them too?

Ahsoka's head throbbed. However, in the fuzziness of her memory, she remembered fragments of a conversation. Ahsoka had not been alone in the prison cell — someone else was there, a creature of darkness, someone whose Force signature she could not feel. They had not said much, but spoke of Violet. Oh, Violet. Ahsoka wanted to speak with her desperately. They had so much to catch up on as they had not discussed what happened to them after the rock fall. But before she fell asleep and was taken by the Son, Ahsoka had noticed that Violet had seemed distant, occupied with her own thoughts. Ahsoka had much to say about her conversation with Ashla; Violet was the only person she could confide in.

Violet. The dark entity had said she was the centre of everything. "How? Why?" Ahsoka had asked. She wanted specifics but never received them. She wasn't sure what had happened next. Ahsoka remembered feeling dazed, as if she had been put under a spell. The other figure had continued talking, but Ahsoka was too out of it to understand.

But now she was awake again, and someone was calling her home. One voice drifted through many, as if everyone she cared for was drawing her back to the light. But the voice which rang loudest was Violet's.

Ahsoka opened her eyes. She was back.

She gasped for breath, rocking up into a sitting position. Her limbs felt heavy and a chill clung to her bones. Then Anakin hugged her. He almost launched himself at his padawan, drawing Ahsoka close. He'd never hugged her before. And she had seldom seen him look so relieved.

"Hey, Snips."

Ahsoka looked from Anakin, to the Father, to the Daughter — her light had gone out and she laid cold and still. "What did I miss?"

Anakin did not reply. Ahsoka looked around quickly, searching for Violet. Why couldn't she feel her? Then Ahsoka found her: surrounded by shards of amber glass and blood. Ilara knelt by her padawan's side, silent as the grave.

"No." Ahsoka's voice escaped her in a hoarse cry. She nearly tripped over her feet as she raced forwards. Anakin caught her before she could reach Violet's body. Ahsoka screamed, crying until it hurt. She fought against Anakin's steel grip until he finally released her.

Ahsoka collapsed at Violet's side. She stared at Ilara through glassy eyes. "What happened?"

Ilara and Anakin looked at each other, then back at Ahsoka. "You don't remember?" the older Knight asked, her voice thick and trembling.