III

*It will be known when to play the above song during this chapter.*

*Three months after the engagement. Seven months until the wedding.*

I'm sitting in a chair in the corner of a bridal store, my eyes zoning out on the wall in front of me although I know there's movement happening all around.

Today was the day that Gwen would be picking out her wedding dress, and the bridesmaids would also be trying to figure out a style as well. I knew that she wanted me in a different color than her other five friends, which was fine, but I also hated standing out - especially on a day like that.

It's not until Gwen is stepping out of the dressing room with the first wedding dress she's trying on that I'm drawn out of my thoughts. My eyes scan over the dress, and I suck in a deep breath as I take it in.

This style of dress is one that I've always pictured myself walking down the aisle in.

"I don't like it," those are the first words I hear leave Gwen's mouth as she looks in the mirror, and as much as I feel relief, I also feel insulted - even though I know she doesn't know this is the design I've always envisioned. "It's just too...boho?"

I roll my eyes, and I sit up in my seat a little more as my mother looks over to me. "Carter," she whispers, and I look over to her. "I need you to be a little less obvious, honey."

My head snaps over to my mom, and I sit up a bit more straight in my chair. "What do you mean?"

"I can tell that you'd rather be anywhere but here today."

I sigh as I close my eyes, leaning my head back on the chair. "I just don't feel like getting yelled at over every little thing, even if I don't feel like I'm doing anything wrong. I already know she's going to be over the top at the party tonight."

Gwen was already back in her dressing room trying on another gown - not even lasting a minute in the first one.

"You have to understand that she's under a lot of pressure with both work and the wedding," my mom tells me, and I try not to be angry with her for always defending Gwen, but I know in this case she is right. "Do I agree with the way I've seen her snap at you these past few months while planning? No, and I've talked to her about that when you're not around, but just try to be patient with her, okay? I've asked her to do the same with you."

I bite my tongue, wanting to explain that I never actually do anything to warrant Gwen being the way she is towards me sometimes, but I know that now is not the time or place.

"And think about Harry. He'd hate to know that his two most important girls are fighting."

That has me almost snapping. I hate when she brings Harry into the middle of Gwen and I having a disagreement. Whether it be her saying that he'd be upset to know we're fighting, or saying that one of us is going to feel uncomfortable being around Harry if we keep this up. I wish she'd leave him out of it. She knows that he's a weak spot for me - someone that I'd never wish to upset.

I hear gasps, and I look to see that Gwen has come out of the dressing room in a new gown.

This one is more her style. It has a large skirt with pockets, and a corset style top. It's a princess gown - just like she's always wanted.

My mom has already leapt up from her chair to head over to Gwen, and I finally push myself up to join them as well. I can hear how her friends are making over the dress as my sister stands and looks at herself in the mirror.

I pick up on the look in her eyes almost immediately. This is going to be the one she ends up choosing.

"It's beautiful," I tell her, and her eyes meet mine through the reflection. "You look gorgeous, Gweny."