Introduction | Your Adventure Begins

Elza Parks lounged on a wooden bench in the rear garden of Celestial Library, overlooking the vast aquamarine waves of the Palisade Ocean crest over the beach's white sand only meters from her position.

The heat of the mid-morning sun, now almost centred in the blue sky above her, warmed Elza's skin as she inhaled a long, relaxed breath while a light wind tussled with her long red hair.

She smoothed out the ruffles of her green dress, patterned all over with small white diamonds, and extended a hand to catch a yellow butterfly on her fingertip.

She then looked at you.

"So, you are the face of the daring academia student Dean Bronzeweald sends me," Elza said with an ethereal voice. She smiled, then stood gracefully from the bench and playfully twisted her bare toes into the tendrils of emerald grass.

She lifted her hand and watched the butterfly depart her presence.

"My name is Elza Parks, an archivist of the Celestial Library. Come with me. It is time for your journey to begin."

Elza turned away from the beach and led you through a pair of glass doors, where the soft grass turned to a smooth wood floor, and the embrace of nature was substituted for a circular room stacked with hundreds of books.

"Welcome to the epicentre of Aphora's literary history, your gateway into many lands inhabited by good and evil. Some tell the stories of heroes, others heralding darkness. I can see you long for a grand adventure," Elza said, waving you along as she walked past a large oak tree in the center of the room. Its leafy branches stretched towards the glass ceiling, soaking in every last drop of sunlight glowing above.

To the left of the tree was a section of books illuminated in a white glow, the covers arranged in groups of gold, silver, and bronze.

Elza moved towards this section, identifiable by the wooden sign pinned to the tree branch leading your eyes towards it.

The Collection of Honour, Truth, and Redemption.

Before you followed Elza's path into the light, you were suddenly pulled to the darkness that shrouded the bookshelves on the right of the great oak.

The Collection of Death, Tragedy, and Destruction.

You took a step towards it.

"You must resist the pull of the dark," Elza called. The intensity of her tone prevented you from taking another step.

Elza approached, her face stern. "These stories bring misfortune and anguish to all who read them. During your stay at the Celestial Library, you will be tempted to indulge in their chaos, for they promise rewards, but do not be fooled, dear reader, for they diminish the light and bring only folly to those who dare awaken them."

You see a pale grey hand reach out of the darkness and gesture for you to enter the shroud.

You resist the taunt and retreat, finding solace with Elza in The Collection of Honour, Truth, and Redemption.

You are comforted by the woman's gentle smile.

"Wise choice, dear reader, but be aware, these stories are not without consequence. The path to victory is not always clear. You will find many trials and tribulations within."

Elza pulled a silver book from the shelf and rubbed her hand gently over the cover.

"I think this is the adventure you seek—one with dragons, elves, dwarves, darkness and light. Three young, unlikely heroes assemble to fight the greatest evil they've ever known, called into action by the divine to find the lost heir to the kingdom and save their home."

Elza placed the book in your hands.

"Do you accept this tale? Once you do, you cannot alter your decision until the final page is turned."

Silence.

"Very well," Elza said. "Godspeed, dear reader, and remember, nothing is ever as it seems."

As you opened the book, a bright light burst from the pages, and Elza's soft blue eyes were the last thing you saw before everything vanished.

"Welcome to Risen."