Little Cutie

Backstory: Y/n is friends with Whitney and needed a place to hangout for the day because her roommate wanted some alone time. Whitney was at a football competition, Kimberly working a day shift at Sips, and Bela was either doing a comedy thing or sneaking into some event.

Y/n was sat in the living room, absentmindedly scrolling through her phone to pass the time, as a tall, blonde, rich-looking girl appeared from her room. She gave a wary look towards the seated girl, and decided to sit down opposite her. 

"So you're y/n? I've heard a lot about you," her tone is neutral- she's not sure how to act with this new person yet. "You must be Leighton."

What does she know? Her tone was condescending... a switch quickly flipped in Leighton's brain as she decided this girl needed a major reality check. "The one and only. What's your major?"

"Law." Hah, as if. "A lawyer? So your field of expertise is screwing people over and getting them stuck in contracts they can't escape?" she says bluntly, without realising just how mean she was being. "I guess," says y/n in the same blunt tone she received. Leighton's eyebrows raise at her response, expecting a defensive, detailed definition of what it is to be a lawyer- she can't help but feel a little disappointed. She was, after all, anticipating a little argument, which she would have thoroughly enjoyed winning 

"And you're paying for this degree with your parent's trust fund, right?" This was gonna be fun, Leighton thought

"A scholarship."

A look of scepticism crosses the blondes face momentarily, assuming she was lying. Most of the students at Essex were spoilt snobs relying on their daddy's business to get them though life, so it was second nature for Leighton to assume such. "Really? You're getting your degree fully paid for by a scholarship with the grades you got in high school?"

"That's what a scholarship is, isn't it? Are you really having that hard of a time believing me?" her tone is disappointed by Leighton's quick judgement. "Yes. I am, actually. I don't believe you got a scholarship. I think mommy and daddy paid," the last line is said with strong hints of condescension. "Like you aren't a trust fund baby"

Leighton freezes. She was obviously right- she didn't get here from her own merit and hard work, she got here through nepotism and family connections. She's a trust fund baby

Y/n basks in the silence she is met with, "that's what I thought." "Okay, you win. My parents are rich and got me here. Doesn't change the fact your parents did the same..." 

"You really don't believe I could get a scholarship?"

"Not really, no. You would have to be a savant in academics in high school to get your degree paid for by such a prestigious school. If you are so smart, why didn't you apply to an Ivy League like Princeton with a better pedigree to get an even better law degree? You would have had a lot more resources to do so with your rich parents as well."

Y/n thinks, why was she so confident she wasn't able to earn a scholarship. "Well, maybe I'm good but I'm not Princeton good," she isn't sure what else she can say now, this 'Leighton' girl was getting on her nerves. "So you're basically admitting you weren't Ivy League worthy? That proves my point exactly."

"Don't get too cocky, you're not in an Ivy League school either." She freezes again, fuck. "Damn, okay, you win again."

The girl smiles in response, Leighton only pouts

She's not used to someone besting her so thoroughly, y/n was smarter than she expected, otherwise she wouldn't have even engaged with her if she didn't think she could beat her at... whatever it was she could beat her in. She thought they were more alike than she had initially thought- it was nice to have a challenge for probably the first time in her life. Y/n takes note of this pathetic look of defeat. "Don't worry sweetheart," her pet name echoes in the room and Leighton is brought back to earth when she feels a passive aggressive stroke on her arm, "you'll beat me one day... maybe."