VI. Misery

Her father got the warning five minutes after they left the Meeks—Martin house

Her father got the warning five minutes after they left the Meeks—Martin house. Judy Hicks was last seen speeding home. That was all she had picked up during her father's frantic phone call with one of his old police friends. He seemed mortified, but was definitely trying to keep his composure for her. Olive couldn't care less if he was bawling his eyes out with a tub of ice cream in his arms. All she wanted to know was what was happening.

    Her father parked the car and told her to stay put.

    Olive wasn't going to listen. Obviously.

    She trailed after him, hiding behind car after car. The metal was cold and scared her to her core. What was happening? She spotted black bags. Oh. Oh. the girl felt something gurgle in her stomach. She watched as a tall brunette woman in heels rushed forward. Olive didn't want to be here anymore.

    Breathe, littlest Riley, Billy reminded her. He was holding her shoulders, grip tightening as he watched everything happening around them. Just wait for good ol' Dewey to come back.

    "Excuse me?" She knew that voice. Heck, she'd heard that voice for the last thirteen years of her life. She ran forward, ignoring the yelps of officers and bystanders. Olive crashed into her mother. She gave her a shaky hug, fearful to let go. "Olive?" Gale Weather looked at her former husband with distaste. "You brought our daughter to a crime scene?"

    Her father bit his lip. "I told her to wait in the car."

    Her mother pressed a kiss to her head before turning to her ex husband. "A text? You tell me the killer is back in a text?"

Her father winced as he rubbed the spot her mother had just hit him. He had his heart eyes back. People often told her that her father had been making heart eyes at her mother since the nineties. Olive was inclined to agree normally, but right now, she was believing it. For the first time in years. "Ow, that hurts."

"Good!" a smile crept onto Olive's lips.

"You were on the air."

"How do you know?" She never did tell her mother about how Dewey watched her show every morning just to see her. Or how he would watch reruns late at night to catch a final glimpse of her before he went to bed. On those types of days, Olive knows he'll be extra sad.

"A hunch. You look good. Are you still writing?" He glanced at Olive, hoping she would provide him with an answer. She was just happy her parents were together, and talking.

"No time. Plus, I prefer not writing when I'm with Olive."

"You were always happiest when you were writing."

Olive rocked on the balls of her feet as she watched her parents engage in awkward banter. When was the last time they were speaking about something other than her sleeping habits? This was the greatest thing that had ever happened to her!