Chapter 7

As he finished his punch, his grandfather stepped in and corrected the position of his arm.

"Mas abajo para que tenga mayor impacto," he admonished.

Roger tried it again, this time punching slightly lower on the worn, wooden post that served as his target.

His grandfather nodded in approval.

Thirty more, and he would be done for this afternoon. After school, he would practice for two hours with his grandfather every afternoon. The first hour was spent manipulating Ch'ulel; it was mentally exhausting. In the second hour, he would exercise. Repeating the punches, kicks, blocks, and footwork that comprised the unique Mayan fighting style.

He plopped, exhausted, looking forward to homework, of all things. He would meet Alicia to work on their joint project.

His mother walked out of the house holding a pitcher and three glasses. During the summer afternoons, she would make her refreshing agua de jamaica, and the three would share a glass before continuing their tasks.

She poured, and they sat on the grass, Roger lying on his back.

"Eduardo agreed. We'll be ready in three days. His cousin has a house in Yuma," his mother whispered to his grandfather. He heard but paid little attention.

"They're already in Guadalajara. Searching. We must go," His grandfather replied, urgency in his voice.

...

"Rogelio, Rogelio," his mother shook him awake, "we have to go. Get up and get dressed."

Groggily, disoriented, he woke, looked out the window, and noticed it was still night.

"Ma, let me sleep. The sun isn't out yet."

"Rogelio, we have to go. Get up now!" She shook him again.

"Get up now, Rogelio!" His father shouted angrily, "Do as your mother says!"

With no other option, he got up and started to dress.

...

His grandfather walked beside him. He carried a small backpack, the few things his mother had allowed. He yawned, already missing his bed.

He looked back as they left the city on the old dirt road. The glow of the city lights the only sign of civilization. Ahead pitch black, the silhouettes of his mother and father barely visible.

"When you're older, stronger, come back and get everything we're leaving behind," his grandfather said, "for now, you must return. We're very proud of you, mijo!"

He walked into the darkness ahead, alone.

"Ssss-Heeaaah!" Roger gasped, trying to fill his screaming lungs

"Ssss-Heeaaah!" Roger gasped, trying to fill his screaming lungs. His head split; the pain was unbearable. Hands pushed on his chest. He opened his eyes. He tried to sit up.