1 - Rivalry

C H A P T E R 1

The student body clamored on the stands in anticipation of the event. Anxiety, pride, and excitement radiated from the crowd in waves, flooding the stadium in a chorus of cheers, chatter, and uncontained fervor. Objectively speaking, the ambiance was addictive. An adrenaline-induced haze seemed to fall over the vicinity. No person is capable of sitting calmly.

A blur of blue and black was not far from where I sat. The cheer team made their presence and skill set known as they: tumbled, flew, and spun on the field. Shouting war cries and exciting the crowd even further. Synchronized shouts echoed into the night, them taunting the opposition simultaneously rallying the student body behind them. In perfect continuity, when one chant ended another began. Listening to them caused me to be out of breath. Their athleticism was something to be revered, arguably more impressive than the match that was to take place soon.

My eyes would follow the two girls, who led the team and choreography. Isuel and Camille drew all eyes to them, as they tumbled skillfully. Shining brightly in their elaborate costumes, perfect hair, and makeup that was akin to artistry. They stood on the lush green grass, that glistened wildly as a result of the drizzle that fell towards the end of the school day.

Silver City students occupied my half of the bleachers.

Each person adorned our school colors; which consisted of a blue and black combination. My outfit matched the color scheme. I had decided on a baby blue sweater and jeans. Not the most fashionable admittedly, but it served its purpose. Besides me, I had my tote. Filled with some snacks, water bottles, and energy bars. For my sister, and the few of her friends that I did tolerate.

Across from the field, there were tonight's opponents.

Sagewood preparatory.

Their dark green and white clashed heavily with the baby blue my peers adorned. Although both colors from both sides were pretty combinations and could admittedly go together; the homicidal intent that radiated from both sides made it seem as if those colors were never meant to combine in the first place. The harsh white floodlights illuminated them as they too took pride in their school. Handmade posters waved wildly in the windless night, their enthusiasm evident in their war cries and elaborate displays. Said elaborate displays included a tumbling mascot and the word wolves flashing across multiple chests in glow-in-the-dark paint.

The competition was not limited to the field. In any aspect of the sort, they attempted to outshine one another.

The air was chaotic and filled with tension, the only sentiment shared was the anticipation of the game ahead. Three fights had already broken out between students of Sagewood and students of Silver City. The root cause of all was the cult-like devotion that both parties possessed for their respective schools.

It was interesting really. Our school was relatively divided; consisting of a multitude of cliques that never mixed. It seemed as if one of the only times Silver City was ever united was when our natural rival, Sagewood, was anywhere nearby.

The ground shook slightly as the in-built stereo system crackled to life. A remix of some song began playing and we all knew what this meant. An automatic response was to jump to our feet and cheer loudly.

In a scene akin to a movie: a stream of blue and black flowed out of the tunnel in a slow jog.

Screams and shouts emanated from the Silver City side as our football team slowly jogged onto the field. The air shook with the loudness of our voices. I didn't bother shouting, sitting with a scowl after someone's popcorn bowl landed in me with pinpoint accuracy. Every kernel I picked out solidified the notion that it had to be deliberate.