- One -

I was sitting under my favorite tree, reading a book when I saw one of my mother's guards approach.

"Lady Y/N, I need you to follow me; your mother wants to speak to you," he said and offered me his hand to help me stand up.

I grabbed his hand, and Sir Leon assisted me before we started making our way to the courtroom. "Have I offended her or my half-siblings?"

"No, you have not offended. From the gossip I heard, your father wishes to see you. I don't know if he wants you to go to Florence or Arles or if he's coming to court, but I know that King Francis has asked for you. Your mother is better fit to give you all the details and answer any questions."

I nodded slowly and kept walking, letting my mind wander. I had never been close to my father; he was a Prince of the Holy Roman Empire, the leader of The Kingdom of Italy, and the Kingdom of Burgundy.

According to the servants, I was the result of a night of passion during a Venetian Carnival party.

When my mother got pregnant with me, she was shamed by her husband's court. She hid the pregnancy and my existence until the moment he died.

I was four at the time of King Maximilian's death. When my mother and I were welcomed back to court, I was immediately given the same education my half-siblings had.

I was taught music, poetry, composition, mathematics, and literature. I also learned the kingdom's language, which was Czech, and I learned Latin, French, Spanish, English, and Italian.

(...)

We reached the court, and the chatter stopped as I approached my mother. She was the queen's mother, and since my half-brother Ludvik was only 15 years old, she was acting as the regent.

"My Queen," I said and bowed before her.

"Lady Y/N, I received a letter from your father, King Francis. He is demanding your presence at the Burgundy court," she said, and I nodded slowly. "May I ask why? My father and I are strangers, My Queen..."

She tapped her fingers against the armrest of the throne. "Your father's heirs have perished during the Black Death. He needs someone to succeed him, and his blood flows in your veins. Therefore, you are going to be legitimized, and you will be crowned Princess of Burgundy and Princess of Italy."

I took a deep breath, just looking at my mother. "W...when am I to leave?"

She looked at me with a little bit of sadness in her eyes. "Tomorrow at the first light. You will be very much missed, my darling girl."

I smiled, and she gave me the tiniest of smiles. "You are dismissed, Lady Y/N. Guards, please accompany her to her chambers, and make sure her servants pack everything she will be needing."

I bowed one last time before turning around and going over to my guards. They led me to my room, and I saw the servants start to pack. I lay on my bed, watching them as my mind started to wander on how life was going to be in Burgundy.

I was going to be the Crowned Princess, becoming the heir of a father I had never met.