𝙤𝙤. 𝙖𝙣 𝙝𝙤𝙪𝙧 𝙤𝙛 𝙧𝙚𝙘𝙠𝙤𝙣𝙞𝙣𝙜

chapter four:

                                                             chapter four:

PERCY'S GAZE SWEPT OVER THE DESOLATE ALLEYWAY, its darkness veiled by the shadows cast by the looming red-brick warehouses. A sign above one of the doors caught his attention, the words "Richmond Iron Works" etched into weathered wood.

In the recesses of the alley, two figures crouched, barely discernible amidst the darkness—a boy of about fourteen and a girl, no older than twelve. With a jolt, Percy recognized them: Luke and Thalia. He was witnessing a scene from their past, a time when they were fugitives on the run, before fate intervened.

Luke gripped a bronze knife tightly in his hand, while Thalia stood poised with her spear and shield of terror, Aegis. Hunger and desperation gleamed in their eyes, lending them a feral air as though they were accustomed to constant danger.

"Are you sure?" Thalia's voice was hushed, tinged with uncertainty.

Luke nodded, his gaze fixed on something unseen. "Something down here. I sense it."

A rumble echoed from the depths of the alley, reverberating like a warning. Undeterred, the two half-bloods crept forward, their senses heightened for any sign of danger.

Stacks of old crates loomed on a loading dock, casting eerie shadows in the dim light. Thalia and Luke advanced cautiously, their weapons at the ready. A curtain of corrugated tin rustled ominously, hinting at movement behind it.

Thalia glanced at Luke, a silent exchange passing between them. With practiced precision, Luke counted silently: One, two, three! In one swift motion, he tore away the tin, revealing a sight that took them by surprise.

A young girl, no more than seven years old, sprang forth with surprising ferocity, brandishing a hammer with determination beyond her years. Luke's reflexes kicked in, barely managing to evade the girl's makeshift weapon.

"Whoa!" Luke exclaimed, grappling with the girl to disarm her.

The little girl's features were etched with fear, her tangled blond hair framing her determined expression. She fought with the desperation of someone who had faced monsters before, her eyes wide with defiance.

"It's okay!" Luke reassured her, struggling to maintain control. "Thalia, put your shield up. You're scaring her."

Thalia complied, her shield transforming into a gleaming silver bracelet. "Hey, it's all right," she said soothingly. "We're not going to hurt you. I'm Thalia. This is Luke."