Chapter 2: Could it be?

"Nakai, you guys should get married already," Melody said excitedly. Nakai looked at her in disbelief.

"Melody, are you crazy. Tamu is nothing but a stranger I met a week ago. I don't even know anything about him." Nakai explained to Melody.

"Well then why are you going to meet him and all.. I know you think he's charming." Melody continued

"I never denied that. You know what Ambuya Redzi says? Looks don't have to matter. In fact, it's the charming guys that always lend you into trouble. I'm going because he didn't criticize me for woman empowerment," Nakai told her friend who did not seem to be listening as they neared the river.
"He seems smarter than the rest"

As they approached the river, they could see the glistening surface reflecting the orange and pink hues of the sunset. There he was, his silhouette standing tall against the glowing sky. More mysterious than ever. Nakai felt Melody slow down as they got closer. She eventually made her way back.

Nakai stood a bit far from Tamuda. He was a stranger to her. They had only met once, a week ago. She recalled everything. It was another of her "Weekends of empowerment" and she had been giving advice to younger girls. Tamuda had watched from afar as he was taking a walk in the forest. Nakai's smile reflected care and kindness but her eyes were something more. The boldness and amount of strength in her voice was something Tamuda had never seen in a girl.

" So that's it for today," Nakai had finally said and Tamuda decided to wait for her. That's when Melody came running and jumped onto Nakai's back. Tamuda watched them chase each other like little kids.

He'd finally made his presence known by clearing his throat. The two girls turned toward him with embarrassment.

"I see you're trying to raise a bunch of delinquents." He finally said to Nakai.

"I wouldn't call it that. It's raising the power in these girls. They should know their worth. That's not anything bad is it?" Nakai said with a raised eyebrow. "It doesn't even concern you by the way, whether I raise delinquents or princesses." She added.

"That's some boldness you got right there Princess.. I  do hope it doesn't lend you in trouble someday"

"Like I said, non of your concern" Nakai said.

"We we're on our way home and if you don't mind, could you excuse us?" Melody finally said.

"Yes, yes sure. You can go on," he said as he moved from the narrow dusty path leaving way for the ladies to pass.

Nakai and Melody made their way. "I'm Tamuda by the way my" he said as they passed

"We don't care!" Nakai shouted.

"I'll see you again Princess!" He shouted back.

*****

Nakai stopped a few feet from him but she could see his eyes perfectly. His dark eyes were like pools of secrets, the kind that could hold the weight of the world and still leave room for more. In those eyes, you could see the reflection of a thousand stories. They were eyes that could make him guilty of any crime or absolve him of all wrongdoing. They were his best feature. He seemed like an educated person because of the way he presented himself. Education was only granted to the elites, but he did not seem like a person in that class. Half the population was uneducated because they couldn't afford the schools hence only boys and rich background children were sent to school. Nakai herself was partly educated only because she was curious and made use of every paper or book she found.

"Miss delinquent." He finally said breaking the silence between them.

"Do you even understand what a delinquent is Mr educated?" She smiled.

"Please do enlighten me. And who says I'm educated?" He said in mockery and laughed.

"Well the difference between me and a delinquent is that delinquents break laws.. , and as for me? I want to change the law." Nakai said boldly.

"How exactly do you plan on doing that. I see you're already breaking the law to change the law." Tamuda laughed.

"I'm not sure how, but I'm optimistic. If not me, someone will definitely change this oppressing culture." Nakai told Tamuda. 

Tamuda was impressed at Nakai's boldness. He couldn't say anything except just smile in disbelief.

Nakai's mother showed up on the pathway coming towards the river.

"Nakai! So this is where you are. I've been looking for you. I needed some water." Nakai's mother said this as she hands the water calabash to Nakai.
"Come on now. Help me!"

"Maswera sei? (Greetings)" Tamuda finally spoke when Nakai moved closer to her mother as she fetched water.

"Aaah. Son. How are you." Mai Nakai replied. "I see you're making my daughter forget she has chores ehh" She laughed.

"Trust me. I have no intentions of doing that." They both laughed. "Goodbye Ma." He said as he was making his way. "Goodbye Princess"

Mai Nakai looked at her daughter suspiciously as Tamuda left.

"Who is he?" She finally asked.

"He's a friend Ma."

Her mother just smiled as they make their way home with Nakai balancing the water Calabash on her head.

End of Chapter

Please do give feedback. Any changes or suggestions. Whatever you got❤️