Chapter 3: No choice

Tamuda's POV

I was struck by her wit, charm, and warmth. The way she carried herself spoke volumes of her confidence and self-assuredness. She feared nothing, not even our customary law. I could imagine the two of us sharing laughs, insights, and adventures together, the prospect of a lifetime by her side filled me with joy and excitement. I'd only met her twice but already, my heart was set - I was determined to win her affection, to woo her with all the grace and charm I could muster. The prospect of courting her was exhilarating and intimidating all at once. I knew that, with her intellect and vivaciousness, I would have to bring my A-game. But the thrill of the challenge was as intoxicating as her smile. I began to plan out how I would approach her, considering my best foot forward and the unique facts of my character that I could highlight to charm her. I would not let her slip through my fingers - I was determined to show her that I was the one for her, and that she was the one for me.
As it is, my father was already going on and on about me settling down. I was only 21 and he was already worried about the generation. He was barely 40 and had no reason for me to take over the throne any time soon.
As I was lost in my thoughts, one of the guards approached me.

"Prince Tamu, the King has called for you."

::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"Father?" I said as I sat next to him

"Son." He sighed. "You're my one and only son. You know that right?"

"Of course" I said matter-of-factly.

"Look, your mother was the only woman I ever loved. She's the only woman I ever married that actually gave me a male child." He continued

"What's your point exactly?" I asked confused

"I've decided to take another wife." He finally said.

I could see that he was trying to find the easiest way to tell me this. He didn't have to include my mother though because if he truly loved her, he wouldn't have married 6 more women after her.
However, I understood. My father was never satisfied. Always craving something new.

"What do you need 7 wives for?" I laughed breaking the prolonged silence.

"Seventeen years ago, there was a severe drought. It killed many due to starvation. One of my friends, Zviro, came seeking for assistance. By that time I was still yet to be King, but I already had you. I agreed to help Zviro for free, not for hhs labor or anything. But Zviro betrayed me, he stole something very valuable from me."

"Umm Father? Are you still giving the reason why you need 7 wives?" We both laughed.

"Yes. Now listen," He went back to his story.

"Let me guess." I said to him. "You decided to pay back by taking something valuable from this Zviro guy as well?"

"Exactly." He said as he looked directly into my eyes. "And I haven't taken that thing from him yet, but now it's time. He thinks I've forgotten." He laughs. "The girl is old enough now. I will marry her the day after tomorrow."

"Looks like you have a terrible grudge with the Zviro guy and it definitely sounds like it's non of my business so I'm just going to leave now." I said as I was standing up.

"Not yet. I haven't dismissed you."

"What now." I said annoyed

"The day of my wedding, I also want you to find a wife. I shall invite all the unmarried girls. You should find yourself someone that night." He winked.

"Whatever." I said as I left. Only if Nakai was going to come would I be able to find myself a wife.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Nakai's POV

I was walking by when I heard my parents discussing something about me.

"He's going to come for her. She doesn't need to be entertaining other men." My mother said to my father.

"Maybe he's forgotten. Let the child be." My father replied.

"Zviro, she's betrothed. It's time we tell her. I saw her at the river with a man. She needs to set boundaries just in case..." My mom continued until she saw me standing by the door. "Naki..?"

"What do you mean I'm betrothed!" I said tears already clouding my eyes.

"Listen child. I'm sorry we didn't tell you this sooner but..." My father tried intervening.

"Tell me sooner? Do you think that's the whole point? Betrothal is basically depriving me of my right to live life the way I want. It's basically depriving me of my freedom to CHOOSE.!!" I said as the clouds in my eyes finally let all the tears out.

"YOU HAVE NO RIGHTS!!" My mom screamed. "You're a girl. You're not meant to have freedom or rights! Now it's a good thing you're betrothed already. Some girls your age are failing to secure good husbands." She continued.

"What if I don't want to get married?" My mother looked at me in horror.

"And do what all your life?" She asked

"Educate myself further. Open a school for girls in this community."

"Nonsense!" My father finally exclaimed. "You'd bring disgrace to this family if you succeed." "You're very lucky someone even wants to marry such a scatterbrained woman!"

"Who is this man?" I finally asked.

Just then, there is a knock on the door followed by the king's messenger.

🤍🤍🤍🤍