(1) Countdown to the Apocalypse

~☂︎~
1963
DAY ONE

The police sirens in the back only further added to Five's anxiety as he trudged through the surprisingly clean alley. Only moments ago, had he witnessed the world end, again, along with the death of his siblings and Hazel. The mental exhaustion from this new information weighed heavily on him as returned to the alley he was dumped in only moments ago, there had to be some kind of clue here. Anything that could tell him where the rest of his siblings were. More specifically, you.

He wouldn't dare admit it out loud, but his first thought when landing, had been you. And the urge to find you had only intensified when the problem of saving the world had sprung up again. The two of you worked well together, or as well as anyone in the dysfunctional Umbrella Academy could work.

It was then, while he was looking around that he saw it. There was a window, directly above him in the alley, the curtains were shut in a panic and a shadow of a man quickly disappeared. Someone had been watching him, and the satellites and cameras on the roof pointed directly at him only confirmed his suspicions.

If that wasn't a clue, he didn't know what was.

~☂︎~

It didn't take too long for Five to find exactly what he was looking for. A little improvisation, threatening, and a small show of his powers, and soon the strange man in the apartment was fully convinced Five was a dangerous alien that he needed to listen to.

"Tell me. . . why is it always an anal probe?" The man asked, getting a little too close for comfort, the look in his eyes curiously creepy. As far as Five could tell this man was clearly a middle-aged loser with an obsessive hobby in conspiracy theories. He was awkward, sweaty, and smelly in a way that let Five know he hadn't showered in who knows how long.

"Any closer, and I'll melt your brain." The boy threatened, his tone and smile were cheery, but with the way the man immediately backed up anyone could tell he was dead serious.

"He needs a little space! Yes!" He stumbled back behind the couch, watching Five from a safe distance, "I'll be over here!"

The board of pictures that had caught Five's eye when he had first entered was what he examined first. "All those contraptions on the roof, you built those, right?"

"Oh, yeah! Sure did," The man admitted, excitedly. "Yeah, I've been tracking anomalies in. . .in the atmosphere. Just waiting."

Five turned around, "Waiting for what?"

"For you," he lightly gestured towards Five, "For all of you."

This information only made the boy's eyebrows scrunch in thought, was this what he was looking for? The clue? The man began to tell his strange story, the reason why he had become a loser caught up in conspiracy theories. And like always, it was the Umbrella Academies fault.

"So, for the past three years I've witnessed five energy surges in that alleyway out back," The man explained, "Same thing every time. A bright blue light, then something appears."

Five began to get lost in thought as he turned back to the pictures. They were grainy with the quality of any regular camera in the 60's, but he could vaguely make out the alleyway that he was dropped in. And in each picture, there were blurry figures.

"Did you get a good look at any of them?" He questioned.

"Yeah, the first one." The man answered, "And then the big, sensitive one."