(2) A Guest Appearance

~☂︎~

DAY FOUR

While Luther and Allison were coming to terms with the unsettling fact of your disappearance, the pessimistic gang---Diego, Lila, and Five, found something equally unsettling.

Their mission after successfully sneaking into the exclusive gala, was to locate their father, and bring him back. As Diego had put it, "get it in, get out." And once the get in part was complete, their eyes were peeled for a younger but still old version of Reginald Hargreeves.

"I don't see Dad anywhere," Diego commented. Standing in the middle of the reception room, the trio tried not to stick out with their last-minute party outfits, of course the school boy uniform wasn't helping.

Five's eyes scanned the room as he sipped on a glass of champagne. The judgy looks of old money families wondering why a boy was drinking weren't going to stop him from getting mildly drunk.

"Just keep an eye out for the Majestic Twelve," He replied.

As they had found out hours earlier, the Majestic Twelve were a shady organization composed of twelve rich men of America, notorious for committing rumored crimes. And the Majestic Twelve member named Hoyt Hillenkoetter was hosting this gathering of the rich at the Mexican Consulate.

"I got the upstairs," Five gestured to the grand staircase at the edge of the room. "And Diego, try not to do anything too stupid."

With that helpful advice, Five split off from the group, leaving Lila and Diego alone.

"Oh," Lila's attention was immediately caught when the music changed, "they're playing our song." Grabbing Diego's tie, and taking a last swig of her champagne, she preceded to drag him onto the ballroom floor.

Wrapping herself in Diego's arms, the two of them began to waltz to the Mariachi music. It was lovely, the way that Lila fit so well into Diego's grip. The way the two of them flowed effortlessly together with the music. And staring into Lila's eyes, Diego could almost imagine he was in love. Almost.

"Someone's got moves," Lila teased with a smile as Diego spun her in a circle.

"My father insisted on ballroom dances," he muttered, his focus a little too caught up with the sight of her.

"One never knows," he began to mock Reginald, "when the paso doble will be the difference between life and death, children."

Lila smiled as Diego dipped her, "My mum used to say something like that."

The almost lovebirds continued the next few minutes with their "comfortable" paso doble, that is until a certain woman on the other side of the party caught Diego's eye. Even through the bustling crowd, he'd recognize her face anywhere. Especially with that hairstyle.

Lila felt Diego's grip slacken before he was completely frozen on the dance floor. What now? She followed his line of sight, barely catching the face of the beautiful women through the crowd.

"Well, you are easily distracted." She commented, slightly amused.

"It can't be," the shock festered in him as he ran through the possibilities. There was no way in hell. Of all places, of all times.

Diego mindlessly started to walk toward her; Lila left forgotten as he pushed through the crowd. There in the room by the staircase, standing in a classy dress, her hair elegantly tied up. She turned around, and Diego was hit with a deeper sense of surprise.

"Y/n?" He whispered.

They had been looking for you everywhere. Everywhere. Diego had never found Five more annoying than he had these past four days with the boy's obsession in finding you as soon as possible. And here you were, at a fancy little party, mingling with the rich, looking as if you were one of them. With all the Umbrella Academy's fates after getting dropped in the sixties, yours had to be the best.