Chapter 5

Around when I turned eleven Gamma Peter added a new kind of training, first he took me hunting for rabbits, it took me weeks to get the hang of it and I really didn't like killing them. But after the first week whenever I came back with nothing Gamma Peter would kick me in the side, I tried harder after that but it wasn't easy and sometimes I just couldn't find anything.

He then moved on to having me evade guards while they chased me, if I was caught I was locked in a cage for an hour. Eventually I got better at that as well. But I still spent a lot of time in a cage. I was getting exhausted and started considering running away. My day would start with my early run, then hunting, my lunchtime run, training with the guards, which felt like they were hunting me, then finishing with my final run around the perimeter. I couldn't take much more of this.

At some point I turned fourteen, Hazel made a point of finding me on my birthdays with a cake so I wouldn't forget. It was nearly the only time I saw her now, she was getting old and would retire soon. I was worried about who would still remember I was a girl if she was no longer around.

My training changed again, Gamma Peter took me hunting for deer, he shot them but I had to chase them to him then chase them until they died so he could find the body. I really didn't enjoy it, he only did it about once a week, it was my least favorite day, which is saying something given I hated all of my days. He also added fight training.

It basically involved me getting hunted by the young guards in training, they would take turns shifting into wolves and taking me down. I hated it so much that I watched the older guards train until I knew how to defend myself. Once that happened Gamma Peter moved me to the advanced class for the older wolves to use for practice. Some of them actually took pity on me and started training me properly.

That year was also the year we were attacked by rogues again. I was expected to fight with the guards, I think everyone forgot I was only a fourteen year old girl. I should have been locked in the packhouse with the rest of the untrained women and children. But no, I was on the front line right next to the Alpha and the rest of the guards. I was injured in that fight and given a full day to heal. It would have been nice to have a day off if I wasn't in so much pain. For some reason that was only the first of many attacks. They became a regular thing and I was expected to fight each time. I got better at defending myself and the others but it came with a cost, I was littered with scars now, big and small. You would think someone would be grateful and give me a break but no, I just got more training and even more patrols.

I was now expected to get up in the middle of the night to run patrol, I wasn't the only one running it, but I was the only one expected to run four times each day. My plans to run away were on hold because of the attacks. I couldn't leave by myself and expect to survive out there. I also had to take into account that this pack were the only people who knew I wasn't just a wolf, deep down they all knew I was supposed to be a girl.

For two and a half years the attacks kept coming, I heard the men talking and learned that it wasn't just us, rogues were attacking all of the local packs and the Alphas were meeting to discuss options all the time. They never came up with a way to make it stop though. It did slow down for a few years and in that time the leadership of the pack changed. Liam the Alphas son turned twenty-one and his father stepped down and gave him the pack. His best friends Thomas the Betas son and Vince the Gamma's son took over with him.

If I thought for a moment my life would change then, I would have been wrong, Former Gamma Peter remained my main trainer and career. He made all the decisions regarding my life, I was not important enough for the new leaders to have anything to do with me.