ch : 6

Ahvi pov

I sit on my bench in the classroom, feeling bored and restless. Hazel, my best friend, is next to me, working on some chemistry sums. Mrs Grace, our teacher, is writing more questions on the board, as if we don't have enough homework already. I sigh and try to focus on the equations in front of me. I hate chemistry. It's so dull and complicated.

I finish one sum and move on to the next one, but my pen runs out of ink. I groan and shake it, hoping for a miracle. Nothing. I look at Hazel and whisper, "Hey, Haz, do you have an extra pen?" She nods and reaches into her pouch, handing me a blue pen. I thank her and resume my work, scribbling down the answers.

Suddenly, Mrs Grace claps her hands and says, "Students, attention, everyone!" We all look up, wondering what she wants. She smiles and says, "I have some exciting news for you. There is going to be a school tour for 12 days, and it's a surprise where we are going. It's your last year in school, so I hope you all join this tour. It's starting next Sunday, and today is Thursday, so you have two days to prepare. Who is interested in this tour?"

I feel a surge of excitement and curiosity. A school tour? For 12 days? Where are we going? I glance at Hazel, who is looking at me with the same expression. I say to her, "You're coming, right? If you're coming, then I'm coming too. What do you say?" She replies, "Why not? I don't think there's a problem. I'll come." I say, "So it's fixed, then. We're both going on this trip." We raise our hands and Mrs Grace writes our names on the list of students who are going.

Hazel is going because of me, and because it's our last year in school. But I'm going for a different reason. I need a break from my toxic family. My father, his second wife, and my grandmother are making my life miserable. They are always criticizing me, controlling me, and hurting me. I feel frustrated and depressed. I want to rest. I want to escape this hell for a few days. It's not a want, but a need. I need to stay away from them for a while. I need to breathe.

I release a sigh of relief when Mrs Grace finishes writing our names. I smile at Hazel, who smiles back. We're going on a trip. Maybe things will get better. Maybe I'll find some happiness.

______________________________________

Stetson pov

I don't raise my hand when Mrs Grace announces the school tour. I can't go. I have to help my mom in the shop. She's been feeling sick lately, and I can't leave her alone for 12 days. She's the only family I have. My dad left us when I was born, and I never met him. My mom works hard to keep the house and put food on the table. I got into this school on a scholarship, thanks to my grades and rank. I don't have to pay any fees, but I still have to study hard. I have 12 days to prepare for the exams, and I don't want to waste them on some trip.

My friends, Austin and Ken, raise their hands. They look excited about the tour. They don't have any problems at home. They have normal families, normal lives. They don't understand why I'm not joining them. Ken asks me, "What's up, bro? Why aren't you raising your hand?" I smile weakly and say, "You know I can't. I have to help my mom. And besides, I'll get 12 days to study. I'm not going on the tour." They look at each other and lower their hands. Austin says, "Then fine. We won't go either." I feel a pang of guilt. They're good friends. They're trying to support me. But I don't want them to miss out on the fun because of me. I say, "No, guys, don't do that. You should go. It's your last year in school. You deserve to enjoy yourselves. Don't worry about me. I'll be fine." I try to sound convincing, but I don't know if they believe me. They sigh and raise their hands again. I smile and thank them. They're the best friends I could ask for.