Chapter Three (Part 2): I'm in a Dream For Sure

Grace knew what was coming her way. No way was she going to tell that to anyone. Her hands had suddenly turned clammy and sweaty and she was subconsciously fidgeting with her top

"Grace, I'm not sure if you're..."

"I'm OK, Michael. I...It's just that it's getting dark," Grace avoided the topic. 

Her tight-lipped suppressed smile wasn't reassuring for Michael. As if she was having a thousand unfriendly thoughts inside her but was not willing to confess her discomfiture.

"Are you scared of the dark..."

"NO," Grace cleared her throat to overemphasize her negation...and looked away.

Michael understood that Grace wasn't in the mood to converse on the topic. 

"And what exactly was this thing that the boy said?" Grace asked after they had started walking again.

"Kind of Oath. In Ridona."

"Ridona?"

"Geventen's code language. You say it when you meet someone for the first time, and you want the other person to be your friend."

Grace hesitated with her movements as she hid a sob.

"You didn't say it to me," Grace muttered to avoid the topic again.

Michael blushed.

"No," He looked down as if that explained everything. "We're here," he said as if to change the topic.

The calmness all around was overwhelming, and Michael knocked at the door distractedly.

No answer.

Knock... Knock!

No door clicking.

"Hello?"

Uh-huh. No answer.

"Sir Curtis?" Michael called.

Finally, the door opened. 

There stood a man in a distressed, wretched-looking, black lapel coat and trouser-with-holes. He had a taut posture and his black clothes merged with the shadowy walls and semi-darkness of his room interiors. His forehead was wrinkled with tension and worries. A pointed curved nose lent his face a distinction.

"As the Warden for Geventen, Mr. Davis...your shoes are dirty," he said as bent down to pick up his fallen letter. Better take care you know...for points to be the Captain.

Michael nodded and made a careful note in his mind. "Yes...sir, I shall take care."

Grace looked beyond Mr. Curtis's head into the dark study. In the dim rays filtering in from outside, Grace could see a crock which was being stirred by a weird-looking creature (Grace was shocked). 

The room occasionally got lit by bubbling flashes of bright red and black colours that were emitted from a boiling cauldron of pungent liquid. Dark fumes came out of the incessant boiling. The liquid looked viscous and dark grey as it churned, a thick, slimy and ugly mixture. 

Grace felt dizzy looking at the concoction.

"Sir..." Michael started. "We have a new..."

"Yes, but I am very busy currently," Curtis cut him short.

"I know...but..."

"JK's coming today," Curtis informed.

Michael nearly choked. "JK!"

Grace was curious and wanted to know who JK was but she felt this wasn't the right moment at all.

"Yeah," Curtis said, going back to his work.