Walking on Eggshells

**Max's pov**

He gave me yet another concerned look...It wasn't a total lie.
He knew my parents weren't exactly nice to each other. Never have been. Yet they're so stubborn, neither of them has the guts to divorce. Everyday I pray they do, even though I couldn't be further from faith. They end up taking it out on me, anyway. They somehow manage to find one little trait about me to explain the grave they have dug themselves in now. And sometimes, I believe them. I feel like a burden to them.

"They were fighting again? I don't get it how you still have to put up with their messes. You're a good kid, that's all that matters."

"Sure, not as good as you" I thought
to myself. But in reality I shrugged and eyed the ruined tiles of the schoolground.
I bet that if I were more like Kyle, my parents wouldn't behave like this. Life could all be better. But no, I'm stuck this way.

**Kyle's pov**

His annoyance was palpable, it was rising by the second. But Max is stubborn. He was keeping it hidden deep down, although I only had the best of intentions. I was quite unsure on how to help him. I knew Max had a difficult time with his parents, yet I had a nagging feeling. I had a hunch that Max was being evasive about something. I bit my lip in worry.

"If I say the wrong thing, he might snap..."

"I know your parents are always getting on your case. Don't listen to them. But you seem different today"
...
"Is that really it?"

"Yeah" he hit back, sharp. His tone didn't really admit a reply. And that was my sign not to pry further. I was just gonna give him space. I just wanted to see him smile, so I tried to change the subject.

"Well, I was gonna head to lunch. You coming?"
I started, acting a bit cheery, almost assuming that he'd immediately follow as usual.

"Uh, I have to meet Lara at lunch today."