XXVI

-A FEW SIMPLE WORDS-

AN: I've decided to have PJO series Grover replace PJO movie Grover. I feel like Aryan is a way better choice, and he fits my skittish, kind of sarcastic and extremely loving Grover better. He was originally my first choice, but, for future reference, I'll be replacing the majority of the cast I set. There will be a recast after Act Three. 

     Eva Orion's blood boils as she looks at the man in front of her. But for once, she tries to hold herself together. Her anger had always been stronger than her, more powerful. She's never truly had control over it until this day. So, as she stares into the eyes of Hermes, hands clenched into fists, she keeps her cool. 

     But that doesn't mean she would bite her tongue. "You're taller than I thought you'd be," she says. "You know, since most assholes have to stoop really low."

     Hermes hummed from his spot at the table, leaned over with many women surrounding him. "Seems I've hit a nerve." 

     "Seems you have." 

     "Wanna tell me why?" 

     She shrugs. "Maybe all the hardship you've caused Luke. You gave his mother the gift of sight and now she's batshit crazy. I don't care about Zeus' law or the fact that you couldn't intervene and, frankly, I'm sick of hearing the same bullshit from every God I come across. You have us, and you abandon us, and you leave us with people that can't take care of kids.

      "So we grow up with shitty moms or dads and their shitty boyfriends and girlfriends, and the entire time, you're all watching it on your thrones while drinking wine and talking about the next demigod to enter Camp Halfblood. Your children; like we're simply play toys for you to bet on, and use and abuse. Like we're not real people with real feelings and lives we want to live."

     A sour taste settles on her tongue. Everything she wanted to say to all the Gods was being directed to only one. But he's the God of messages, right? Surely he can deliver it to the rest of them. 

     She sucks in a deep breath, steadying the burning on her skin. "All Luke has ever wanted is a father. A real one. And a mom that he can talk to and she'll remember it. A mom that's not burdened with the truths that lie beyond the mist. He's my friend, and my-" 

      "Boyfriend," Hermes cuts her off. "I know who you are." 

      She'd almost forgotten all the letters and gifts he'd delivered for Hades. All the times she'd seen that quick flash of gold under cabin four's door. 

     Eva nods. "Right." 

     Hermes mirror's her actions. "Right. So, why are you really here? You know, besides wanting to destroy my feelings and ego all at once." 

       And as the two girls go to fill him in, their words get caught in their throats. They wrack their minds for any possible reason for being at the Lotus Casino but it never comes. Annabeth's brows knit tightly together as she shakes her head softly. She didn't know, she couldn't figure it out. 

     Nothing came to Eva's mind, either. It's like everything outside of those casino walls just didn't exist anymore. Her eyes scan the surrounding area like they did earlier. But nothing is at the tip of her tongue or the front of her mind.