Chapter 1: Fallen Star

††

Halle's pov:

The star,my star seemed to glimmer with a newfound intensity tonight, as if it was reaching out to me, beckoning me. I laid in bed, staring up at the sparkling jewel in the sky, a sense of peace washing over me.

It is my nightly routine, a ritual that brought me comfort in the darkness.

As I closed my eyes, my prayers whispered into the night, a peculiar thing happened. The star, my star seemed to grow larger, its brilliance intensifying. It seemed to be falling, hurtling towards the Earth.

My eyes fluttered open, my heart pounding against my chest.

What was happening?
Was it my imagination playing tricks on me, or was the star actually falling?

I strained my eyes, the star's brightness almost blinding. Suddenly a shooting star streaked across the sky, it's tail a magnificent display of light. But the star, my star continued it's downward path, its descent slow and deliberate.

It couldn't be real. A star couldn't just fall from the sky like that, could it?

A cacophony of metal and glass colliding resounded through the night, the crash seeming to vibrate through the walls and into my very bones. A chill races down my spine, a sense of foreboding filling the air.

I dashed out of bed, torch in hand, my feet thudding against the wooden floor. The balcony doors swung open, the cool breeze tickling my skin. And down, in the moonlight, a human figure, slumped against the crumpled back view of Lois' car.

"Hello?" I called out, my voice trembling. "Are you alright?"

The man, so still and silent, lay motionless on the car, his blood seeping from his wounds and pooling beneath him. The scream that wanted to tear from my throat lodged there, caught in the icy grip of shock.

As I raced out the room-the stairs and out the front door, time seemed to slow. My heart raced, the beat of it thrumming in my ears, a deafening rhythm that drowned out the test of the world.

My mind spun in frantic circles, scrambling for a way to process what was happening.

I blinked once, twice, willing the gruesome scene to dissolve, to melt away like mist under the sun. But the man remained, a stark, brutal reality on the vehicle.

As I watched, frozen with horror, a miracle occurred. A twitch of his finger, a breath from his lungs, the faintest flutter of his eyelids. He was alive, if only by the slenderest of margins.

I snapped out of my trance, my body galvanized into action. Adrenaline coursed through my veins, my rational brain taking over.

The man's ragged breaths, wheezing through his nostrils, confirmed the impossibility-he was still with us, though just barely. As I stood there my mind raced through a thousand different scenarios. But each one was thwarted by the harsh reality of my circumstances.

Dead phone. No keys. No way to get help.

I bit my lip, my eyes darting from the man to the gate that held us captive. I felt helpless, a prisoner in my own home.

But I couldn't just stand there and watch him die. I had to do something. Anything.

I took a deep breath, stealing myself against the waves of fear that threatened to overwhelm me.

Then, without a second thought, I hoisted the man unto my back, his weight pressing down on me like a ton of bricks. My thin muscles screamed in protest, my legs buckling, but i pushed onward.

The gravity of the situation was crushing, and my mind whirled with panic-stricken possibilities. If only my small phone wasn't dead, if only there was power supply, if only Lois wasn't on night duty, if only i hadn't been mesmerized by a star-studded sky..

But as I unbuttoned his shirt, I knew there was no time for "what ifs" or "if onlys". All that mattered was this young man, his life flickering like a fragile candle in the darkness of this dire situation.

There was no time to waste, I carefully spread open his shirt to examine his injuries, my breath caught up in my throat. The wounds were sever, deep gashes bleeding profusely.

Quickly I reached for the first aid kit, my hands moving with a strange, almost mechanical precision as I began to clean and bandage the injuries.

As I fought to stem the tide of blood that threatened to overwhelm the young man, his eyes fluttered open, revealing a stunning shade of bluish green, like the ocean at dawn. The intensity of his gaze, even in this dire moment, was enough to make my heart skip a beat.

"Stay with me," I repeated, my voice pleading, my hands working feverishly to dress his wounds.
"You are going to be okay. You are going to make it."

He tried to speak, his voice a little more than a hoarse whisper. "Who....are you?"

He seemed like an enigma wrapped in mystery, a sky-diver who'd plummeted from unknown heights and landed in my life like a thud. The questions swirled in my mind, as dizzying as the wind that must have buffeted him in his descent.

Who is he? How could he fall from a height that high and still be alive?

At yet, in the midst of the chaos, my hands moved with a strange almost automatic grace. Cleaning and bandaging, Stitching and bandaging, fighting to save this strange young man whose life had inexplicably crossed paths with mine.

The sound of the knock at the gate, a sharp contrast to the stillness of the night, sent my heart racing. Fear gripped me, my mind spinning with wild possibilities. Who could it be at this hour? The police? His family?

I glanced at the young man, his eyes still locked with mine. The intensity in those vivid blue-green orbs seemed to ignite something within me, a spark of courage.

"Stay quiet," I whispered," I don't know who it is but we need to be careful. I'll be back."

I crept towards the gate, my fists clenched, trembling slightly as i peered out the gate.

It was Mr Kennedy, Mr Bell and another person I couldn't see properly in the darkness. Their eyes glazed over with remnants of alcohol.

"My dear is Lois home?"asked Mr Bell.

Lois is my aunt.

"Yes sir. Is there a problem?"I asked.

I can't tell him I'm home alone.

"We heard a huge noise from this area so we are patrolling each street."

"What? No, we didn't hear anything."

"Are you sure? The whole street heard it. Can we come inside and check?" asked Mr Kennedy.

"No, you cannot. I said nothing is wrong so please leave"I replied.

This men are crazy thinking I will open my gate for them at 2:00am in the morning.

The men left grumbling and muttering under their breaths as they retreated back into the darkness.

I watched them disappear into the night, my eyes scanning for any signs of movement. Only when I was setting the word gone did I allow myself to breathe again.

Those men are more useless than I could ever be in this situation, they are even drunk to stupor. What could they do...drive us to the hospital?

I don't even have the gate keys.

I looked at the dark sky and took in a deep breath, then glanced at the wrecked car. Lois is gonna kill me, unless she believes this ridiculous incident.

I laughed at my naive self.

††