5.1.|| Sensitive Matters

The sun had almost set, throwing a calm, reddish light upon the white walls surrounding General Harkiss' manor.

Draped in a dark cloak, the hood pulled deeply over his head, Cage gauged the height. It was more a way of stalling for he didn't particularly enjoy what was to follow. He wasn't aware whether anyone had told Madeline Harkiss that her betrothed had been murdered. That he had broken the promise he'd made her to bring Ferdinand home safely.

The bitterness on his tongue made him reluctant, but he no longer had the luxury to act according to his own personal preference. Time was scarce and so were his options.

Groaning, he propped his hands on top of the wall and, in one fluid motion, hoisted himself over it. He'd chosen the same spot behind the large tree in the General's backyard so that the few patrolling guards wouldn't notice. Unlike last time, the property was actually guarded, so he had to wait for the three soldiers to move around the corner of the villa before he could search for a suitable rock. Then, he waited another round before throwing said rock at Madeline's window. Then, he prayed to any god who would listen that she would come out before the patrol rounded the corner.

She didn't. For a few moments, he was convinced that she wouldn't come out at all. After all, he wasn't even sure whether she was home. But then the door to the balcony opened and Madeline Harkiss stepped out. She wore a black dress with a tight bodice and ample skirt, her dark brown hair caught in a severe bun. Her features seemed even gaunter than before. Her sharp eyes moved across the yard, focusing on the incoming patrol.

They halted, looking up at her. "Any trouble, Milady?" the commander inquired.

"Can I not enjoy fresh air without being questioned?" she snapped.

Cage quirked an eyebrow. It was obvious that she did not enjoy being guarded, and that might turn out in his favor.

The guards didn't answer, but scurried around the corner faster. He took advantage of this to step out from behind the tree and wave at the woman. Her haw-like eyes trained on him, and her thin mouth twisted into a snarl. Unlike last time, she didn't have the power to get him thrown in jail, but being discovered in the General's yard uninvited posed a different kind of problem, so he'd much rather avoid discovery.

Madeline turned her back on him and strutted back inside. If he hadn't seen her glaring daggers at him, he could have believed that she'd missed him. As it was, he was sure that his presence was known. So he retreated to his hideout and leaned his back against the thick trunk, simply waiting. She couldn't be foolish enough to bring the guards with her, but he made a contingency plan in case she did.

The boots of the guards stomped in the yard once again. Then, there was silence before the subtle sound of small feet flitted towards him. In mere moments, Madeline Harkiss joined him behind the tree.

"Your Majesty," she said, her voice filled with poison.

"Lady Madeline," he answered. He wasn't sure what else to say at the moment. His attention was drawn to the lines of anguish on her face, the hatred bubbling in her eyes together with despair. It was clear as day that she knew. "I take it that you've heard the dire news."

He did not see the slap aimed at his face coming. It stung, but not enough to even slightly punish his shortcomings.

"You promised," she said between her teeth, her eyes brimming with tears. "You promised that you would bring Prince Ferdinand back and, instead, you come here, commit regicide, and steal his throne."

Every word was a sharp dagger plunged into his heart, but Cage held his ground and his bearing. Madeline was not a friend, so he couldn't remove the mask of the stoic king for her. That didn't mean he couldn't tell her the truth.