Misery Disguised As Happiness

Soojin

I opened my eyes when someone shook me vigorously.

"What happened, Soo? Why are you crying? Nightmare?" Alice's voice reached my ears, and I realized that it was nothing to be scared of.

"Ah, yes. A quite scary one....by the way, when is the bus leaving?" I asked her, looking at my wristwatch.

"Within fifteen minutes, Soojin. Sooah got tired of waking you up, so she gave us this honorable responsibility. Brush quickly and come out quickly. No need to take any shower; it's already cold. Change your clothes too," she said and gave me my brush.

They left me alone. Without thinking about the nightmare, I got ready and boarded the bus, which took us to our school. After that, me along with Sooah and Alain walked back home.

I was happy that my plan was successful. For two weeks, plus throughout the school picnic, everyone got rid of Elisha. Thanks to Alice, if she didn't dispose of the bottle on time, we might have gotten caught. But all was well. We did not get caught.

I got to my bed after a long and tiring school picnic. After doing so much in a week, I wanted to take a good night's sleep. I hoped not to get any nightmares. I wanted to sleep peacefully.

I got up late the next day, but the atmosphere was different today because...

Today was my birthday, and birthdays were special for me. I didn't go to school that day, but Alain invited me to his home. I knew that he had planned something for me, but he really didn't have to. He was coming to my house for my birthday party anyway.

"Soojinah, don't forget to visit Alain once he returns from school, okay? I hope you remember," my mom said, decorating the house with balloons.

"Yes, eomma (mother in Korean)," I said, munching my breakfast.

"Happy 16. So, you aren't going to school today, right?" my elder sister said, adding milk to her glass.

"You already know my answer," I said, looking at my bowl. Sooah nodded, took her bag, and left for school. I didn't know why, but I didn't feel like going to school on my birthdays, but that's okay. Every individual is different from each. That's why we are termed as 'humans' not 'robots.'

It was 4 o'clock now. Alain must have returned from school by now. Sooah hadn't returned yet. I think she must have gone somewhere with her so-called friends.

Instead of further delay, I put on my pink hoodies and black cargo pants and went to Alain's house, which was just two blocks away from my house.

I reached his house and rang the bell, but I got no response. I noticed that the door was not locked, so I entered his house. Where were his parents?

I climbed upstairs and went to Alain's room, which was dark.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY SOOJIN MIN," a choir of voices greeted me, which was followed by switching on the lights.

There, right in front of me, stood Alain. Dressed in a perfectly blue tailored suit, he stood holding a cake for me. His dark hair was neatly combed, adding to his polished look. A subtle smile played upon his lips, hinting his confidence.

Though a high school student, he had wonderful features. Shining eyes, a sharp jaw, beautiful cheekbones - everything about him felt so ethereal. I think God had spent a lot of time sculpturing him, blessing him with those Greek God looks.

God! Why was I having such weird thoughts about this idiot? I think happiness had messed with my brain.

"Soojin, you didn't like it?" I heard Alain's voice and gave him a smile.

"I didn't like it," as I said, I saw his and his family's faces go dull. "I love it," I immediately hugged Alain and thanked him and his family for this beautiful surprise.

I cut the cake, and his parents left us alone in his room.

"Don't be late today, also what was the need for all these?" I questioned him eating the cake. "This cake is delicious. From where did you buy it?"

"From Alain's bakery," he gave me a wink, and I immediately understood that this cake was prepared by him. Bro's gonna be a good chef.

I checked the time and felt the need to go back home. I bid them goodbye and made my way to my home.

It was 9 o'clock now, and neither Alain nor his family came. Where were they? Were they stuck somewhere?

"Soojinah, cut the cake please. Don't wait anymore. Your friends have to return home too. It's already dinner time," my mom said, checking the time.

I had previously postponed her requests, but this time I cannot. Why are you being so late Alain? Where on Earth are you?

I cut the cake, and everyone sang happy birthday. I didn't like these childish celebrations, but my parents still treated me as a child. I had told them nearly thousands of times that I didn't like big parties and all, but they still did.

I wanted a small party with my and Alain's family. That's more than enough for me. I'm not a party girl like my elder sister Sooah. The song 'happy birthday' didn't feel melodious to me because it was lacking my one and only best friend's voice.

Soon after dinner, everyone left. My parents were not angry with Alain's family because they thought that they might be busy with some urgent work while I was heavily disappointed with Alain.

He could have given me a call.

With an unhappy mood, I went to bed. I wasn't in the mood to forgive him tomorrow either.

"Someone save us!"

"Is there anyone out-t there?"

"We're going to d-di-ie. Someone help us, please."

"Mom, mom, get up. OMG! Da-d-d - d-don't clo-s-se you-r e-eyes, please. Someone will c-come, ah."