1

The door jingles as I push it open, entering a small corner coffee shop. Brown is the main colour of the shop with dark chocolate hardwood flooring, Small oak tables with different types of wooden chairs with customers mixing and matching them frequently. Fake plants in little pots sat on each table and the windowsill facing the bustling street. A small fan sat idle in the small shop's centre with cheap little toys on the blades. "Sorry bud, we closed not too long ago." My eyes snap up to the counter with poorly painted white tops with chipped and scraped wooden sides from people leaning against it daily.

"Sorry, I'm here for my interview." The older-looking man puts down his cleaning cloth and leans against the counter.

"You're thirty minutes late y'know." I nod and look at my hands, cracking my fingers one by one.

"Sorry, my train got delayed," I mumble. The aged man sighs and walks out from behind the counter, leaving his cleaning cloth to the side. He walks over to me and tells me to sit, to which I nod and sit in a nearby chair which creaks as I adjust myself.

"Can you make coffee?" I shake my head. "You applied to a coffee shop not knowing how to make coffee?" The man looks at me confused.

"Um yeah. I don't like coffee that much, and I don't know much about it." His face showed no response to what I just said (why the fuck did I just say that? That isn't going to help me get a job.) "Sorry." I blew it, I already know it.

"Can you wash dishes?" I look up in surprise that I wasn't asked to leave straight away.

"Uh, yes." The man smiles and puts his hand out.

"Sweet, you're hired then." I stare at him, dumbfounded.

"That's it, nothing else?" He chuckles and leans back into his chair, folding his arms together. "We need a new dishwasher before our baker screams our ears off again. And this way, you don't have to be stuck smelling something you don't like all day. Mostly." I stare at him in disbelief.

"Are you sure!?!" He smiles again and nods, standing up to push his chair back to where it was.

"Sure. We haven't advertised the open position yet, so if you want it you can have it." I have never said yes to something so fast in my whole life, nor did I think I'd be so happy becoming a dishwasher.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And that was it. Not how I thought it would go and not how I was told it would go but I'm pleased with it nonetheless. But now I'm stuck in a cramped kitchen with a very chatty baker and a waiter hovering around my shoulder any chance they get.

I scowl at the large man, "Can I help you?" A large smile spreads across his face, revealing his teeth with two of them looking wonky as if he was punched in the face.

"So Mr. Serious decides to talk." Yep, should've kept my mouth shut.

"He has a voice?!" A female voice laughs from behind me before closing the oven after checking on how her cake is doing. I sigh and place a bubbly cup on the draining rack.

"Oh, he's gone back to sulking." I glare at the waiter, (why is he so tall?!)

"Don't you have customers to serve?" His smile widens, why??

"Only when I'm called." I roll my eyes and drain the sink of its murky contents to refill it for the next load of dishes.

"Sounds like you're just lazy." I watch as the water slowly filters out of the sink, jumping as I see his face peek to the side of me with a wide smile on his face.

"Maybe I am. Just wanted to say hi to the newbie." I lean on the sink with my palms as he continues to smile at me. I grit my teeth and force a bitter smile before grabbing what's left of the bubbles in the sink and wiping it on his cheek. He stands up straight, surprised and wipes the bubbles off his face.