My Other Half 🔗

The twins are seniors in high school, and what's high school without a little fist fighting?

September 2030

💜

~ NATHAN ~

"I totally flunked that," I sigh as I complain to my best friend, I didn't do what he said and studied. I winged it. Like I've done since I first learned what a test was.

I'm not a big academic guy, I'll admit it. Hockey is my thing, ever since my Uncle Danny exposed me to the wonderful sport. I've envisioned myself in his shoes.

And sometimes my dad feels jealous, he always asks if I ever wanted to try out acting. Like he did, and if I'm being totally and completely honest—no.

I've never thought acting is my thing nor will I start today, and I don't mean to make him feel bad. When I was a kid he took me to his film set for Take Your Kid to Work Day.

I went with my dad and Kit went with my mom, I remember it like it was yesterday.

"I don't know if I did my best either, if that makes you feel better," Elias touches my shoulder, and we both go walking down the hallway, weaving ourselves around groups of students who were either blocking the hallway. Or talking with a group of friends.

"Liar," I look over at him, "you say that everytime to make me feel better."

"No I don't." He lies to me, Elias is an empath. He can't see someone else cry because he'll feel like crying too.

I think it's because he grew up with two older sisters. He's soft as butter. Meanwhile Kit and I used to wrestle all the time to the point she had me in a headlock and my mom had to pry her arm around from my neck.

So yeah, I wish I grew up with sweet, caring sisters like Eli did, but instead I had a feral twin sister who'd beat me up any chance she got.

My mom doesn't know this but one time my uncle and my dad took us to the trampoline park and let us wrestle all we wanted. Mom hates whenever we fight, so of course if she was there she wouldn't have approved.

"Yes. Yes you do," I correct him, he's my better half, Elias, everything I'm not, he is. Which is why we've been best friends for so long, "you say that and end up getting a 90."

Before he could respond, we approached my sister and her locker, which she was currently cursing at, "stupid thing!"

Trying her combination again, she can't get it open, and I can't help but bother her about it, "should I get a peer mentor to help you?"

The peer mentors were for incoming freshmen who needed help with their lockers or schedules. When I was a freshman this pretty senior with brown hair helped me, and that day I forgot how to speak.

"Shut up, Nathan," Kit mumbles at me, trying her combination again on the lock, it doesn't work because of the scowl on her lips.

"Here, let me try," Elias steps in and Kit moves to the side, if there's one person who Kit isn't sassy to it's Elias.

Asking her for the code, Kit holds her books in her hand, and I reach to mess her hair and she swats my hand away. Sometimes I think about what life would be like if I had a twin brother...probably boring.

Or fun. I'm not sure.

"....13...20." Kit finishes repeating her locker combination to Elias, a trusted soul, and he opens it on the first try. The lock hooks down and her locker jumps open.