04.Gods Amongst Men... Sure

Fairmont, West Virginia

Aethermorphos' are an ancient form of shifter, with a distinct contrast to the other types of shifters, this being can freely travel in between the celestial realm and mortal field. It, like most shifters, can transform into any type of creature or being. Commonly taking on human forms to hunt victims. They can easily be located by wearing a special kind of glasses, ones that the lenses have been mixed with shadow dust upon crafting. The glasses reveal a bright silvery glow within their eyes, catching a glimpse of their celestial energy that is invisible to the human eye.

The reason its blood is crucial to trapping a spectral ravager is because it is tainted with celestial energy. The energy acts like a magnet for the shadow dust circulating through its vortex, vacuuming it into the box while the sigils keep it imprisoned.

I drummed my fingers along the sun faded steering wheel, while turning into The Old Town Roastery's empty parking lot. Pressing in the brake, the dingy blue 1982 Ford Escort squealed to a halt in the parking space directly in front of the coffee shop's window.

I stared through the glass that had coffee beans and inspirational words painted all around it at a young man. Devin McAllister, according to my research. The younger brother of the man who was burnt to a crisp inside his home two weeks ago. Thing is his corpse was the only thing crispified, not a single scorch mark was found in his home, baffling authorities.

My fingers curled around the plastic handle pushing the squeaky car door open. The misty air pelted against my face while I briskly walked up to the door. The ambient buzz of morning traffic swirling with the bitter air invoked a raging sense of envy, one that swept across every fiber of my being. I felt that envious stab embed in my chest, envy of having a normal life, not dealing with the nightmare fuel I do every waking second.

"Good morning," the brown haired man greeted, with a half-hearted smile.

I approached the counter, taking a deep breath of the intoxicating aroma of coffee swirling through the air, rubbing my hands together, basking in the warmth the dry building gave. "Good morning," I said returning the smile.

"What can I get started for you?" he asked, grasping onto the p.o.s. system.

"Just a black coffee please," I replied. I waited a couple heartbeats before squinting my eyes at him. "I've seen pictures of you."

His blue eyes apprehensively stared at me, an uncomfortable expression spreading across his face. His body screaming his thoughts, those of contemplating running away or throwing the pot of blistering hot coffee at me.

"I'm sorry, let me backtrack." I raised my hand, slightly shaking my head. "I went to Pace University with Mark. He and I were friends." The uncomfortable expression on his face morphed to a sorrowful one. "I drove down as soon as I heard to pay my respects."

"Oh... Uh" he stumbled over his words, keeping his gaze on the p.o.s. in front of him, tears brimming in his eyes.

"I am really sorry for your loss," I spoke with sincerity. Although I didn't know either of them, that pang in my chest for the man before me's loss and his brother's death rippled throughout me. Especially for Mark, reading about his life hadn't been easy. He hadn't had an easy life, battling bipolar disorder, fighting back from the disorder to try and have a normal life... for it to just end like that.

He nodded while pressing buttons on the white computer system in front of him. "He's uh... buried in the cemetery off highway 14," he forced out.

"He was just such a good man, I couldn't imagine anyone wanting to hurt him. Have they caught the person who did it yet?" I questioned, trying to delve into any possible suspects. Seeing as Aethermorphos' can be real arrogant pricks, believing they are gods amongst men, making their disdain for humanity known.