05.Hierarchy

Fairmont, West Virginia

My eyes fluttered open, a pounding dull ache bouncing around my skull. Instinctively my hand began reaching up to the source of the pain-also feeling something warm running down against my forehead, but I quickly realized I was tied down. I glanced down to see my muddy arms haphazardly tied down to a wooden chair I was seated in with a stained piece of rope. Why am I tied up, and why am I muddy. What the hell happened.

"Amazing, she's awake," a voice cooed, causing me to jerk my head up.

The man from the community kitchen and a tall blonde woman were staring back at me from in front of a lit rock fireplace, both donning menacing smirks. What the shit, when did aethermorphos' start running in pairs?

I clocked my pistol and knife both lying on the fireplace's wooden mantle, and my backpack tucked up against the peeling decorative wall paper beside it. This is going to be fun.

"Go do one final check, ensure she didn't bring any friends," the man craned his neck to the woman while twisting my sunglasses in his hands. I gritted my teeth, louring at the man. She nodded before swiping the rusty shovel that was leaning against the fireplace beside her. Great, I'm going to need a tetanus shot.

"Cool little toy here, along with that bag of nicknacks." He glanced down at the glasses before snapping them in half, and tossing them into the fire that erupted into streaks of black flames. "You know I pegged you as a hunter from the jump," he snickered, taking a few steps closer against the creaky, rotted floorboards. "You hunters just have this almost galvanizing scent," the man squatted down in front of me, as I just glared at him. Not feeling fear, only anger and hate. "You do know that tormented souls taste so much better than your average Joe's... And hunters," he scoffed. "No soul smells nor tastes quite like a hunters. The type of anguish and despair that you emit," I turned my head grimacing as he brought his nose to my neck, inhaling a deep breath. "It's delicious. I've never smelt one with your level of wretchedness though," he pulled back, smirking at me. I think I just vomited in my mouth a little.

"When did you vermin start running in pairs," I spat, narrowing my eyes on the man.

"Vermin?" He cackled. "A human calling me a vermin? Quite ironic." He shook his head before looking behind him at the door. "I was going to wait until she returned to do this, but you... you are just too damn tempting."

He stood holding his hand over my forehead, tilting his head back as he squeezed his eyes shut. I boredly sat there for a couple seconds, knowing nothing would happen. He pulled away, taking a step back with a bewildered expression. I gave him a smug smile.

"Why didn't that work?" he growled, frowning at me.

"Maybe you just aren't as almighty as you pricks think you are," I quipped, managing a shrug even with the ropes.

His face grew red, contorting with fury. "You humans are revolting swine. Do you truly believe you are superior to me in any category?" he hissed.

"Well I can successfully eat my food, so I've got that going at least." I grinned.

He winded back before his knuckles connected with my cheekbone, radiating a dull pain. I shook my head at the throbbing, glowering up at the man. The pain only fueling my the rage that was brewing just below the surface. "You humans are a pestilence, a plague," he roared, flailing his arms like a child throwing a tantrum. "All you ever do is destroy everything." He turned, marching towards the fireplace mantle where my knife and pistol laid. "And you, it's no wonder why they want you dead," he loudly grumbled. They? Who are they? Okay, no time to ponder on who wants me dead, I need to act.