Chapter one

Year one with House Atreides
*6 and 7*

She came from the shoreline

Maybe that's why she had captured his attention from such a young age. The girl had a soul as vast and unforgiving as the waves she seemed to come from, her light green irises capturing the churning of the undertow.

They were enough to pull you under and leave you there to drown but Paul didn't mind drowning if it was in her.

The day that they had met still rung as clear as silver bells in their minds. It's when Gurney had found her, the wisp of the shore, he had been out on a walk. Something the man does rarely but this time he was out there to investigate the odd sounds people have said they heard but most were to frightened to look themselves.

Gurney was looking around the shoreline, the coves that were carved into the rocks. That's when his eyes landed on the child. She was thin and wild looking, a girl raised on mystery itself.

It baffled the man how she was alive being out here for who knows how long,all alone with nothing but the winds and the rain to watch her.

Her wide eyes turned to look at Gurney. The older man holding out a hand as if he was approaching a injured animal. "Hey." He tried to soften his voice but it still held it's signature gravely roughness.

Shying back into the small hollow of rock she narrowed her eyes, suspicious. "What's your name? I'm Gurney." The man tried again, taking a small step back. Gurney sat on his heels looking at her.

"Miranda." The sound of her voice was strained as her vocal cords where forced into movement again after years of unuse. She had no reason to speak, she had no one there and they moon didn't seem to listen any longer.

"Well, Miranda, how'd you like a nice warm meal and some shelter?" He inquired as he tilted his head to the side. His eyes racked across her form for any sign of injury, but he didn't see anything past the ghostly pale tint of her skin or gaunt body.

Her eyes flashed with a light at the offer but it was soon hidden away making Gurney wonder what this child has dealt with to be so adept at masking how she felt. With the smallest dip of her head, she slowly crept from the shadows towards the man.

Gurney moved back from the entrance to the sheltered part of the bay to allow the girl into the light without having to move past him. His steady brown eyes watching her movements.

She stood shakily but she held herself higher then any six year old should, a defiance set deep in her mint eyes. Gurney couldn't help the chuckle that left him, seeing a strong  warrior in the soft face of a child. A rose guarded by the thorns it wrapped itself with, not letting a soul get past unless they were willing to bleed.

Gurney and Paul were willing to pay the blood price it required to grow close to her, the ruby color that matched her smile, the pink in her lips seeming stronger with the contrast of near everything else about her.

"Come, child. I have some friends for you to met." Gurney spoke as softly as he could, a warmth seeping into each word. Miranda bite the inside of her lip as she moved a step forward, legs nearly giving out.

As close to the sea as she was, the salty water was unfit to drink straight from the source. With sympathetic eyes Gurney moved closer to the girl, picking her up in his arms.

Her body tensed up but she didn't fight against him, just looking at him with cautious eyes. The muscles in her legs and back strained with the readiness of running, adrenaline stronger then dehydration.