XXIII. Cole

Chapter 23 (If you haven't seen it already, I posted Grace's POV right before this chapter so don't forget to read that chapter or else this won't make sense) Thank you for your support! Please don't forget to vote and comment.

~*~

I slow my breathing down as I watch Thatcher nudge Grace hard enough to make her stumble.

She is embarrassed as she catches herself.

"Target has been locked," I say quietly.

"Affirmative," Larson says through my ear piece.

I watch carefully as Thatcher drags Grace around the room to greet other guests. Delaurant is seated at the bar, conversing with other men in suits.

It isn't until nearly an hour and a half later that Thatcher makes eye contact with Delaurant and nods.

Delaurant stands as Thatcher begins to make his way out with Grace in tow.
As I begin to follow though, something catches my eye.

It is a flicker of red.

I look out the wall of windows into the opposite building facing us but all the windows in the other building are dark.

Something wasn't right.

The lights flicker above us and I glance around us, peering through the dark.

I can barely make out the outline of a person in the opposing building, holding something large in their hands.

Then the lights shut off.

There is a murmur that arises but the moment the lights are off, I take off running.

I hear the first bullet break the barrier of the window just as I dive and take Grace down.

We land the moment the bullet shatters the window of our building. It was just the first of many though.

Within seconds, bullets are tearing through the gala.

I press Grace into the floor with my body as screams erupt through the air.

I pull my gun out of my suit the moment the first body comes swinging from a line connecting the two buildings together.

"Crawl until you get to the bar area and stay low," I tell Grace, half crawling with her to shield the bullets.

I hover for a few extra seconds, watching her slide behind the bar. Motioning for her take out her gun, I quickly turn.

I tackle the first intruder I see.

He hits the floor hard as I roll onto the balls of my feet. He stumbles to get up, his gun clenched between his fingers as he points it at me.

I don't think.

Pulling the trigger once, I don't even see him the hit the ground before I am spinning to punch another intruder.

I feel something hard hit my back and I lurch forward, catching myself mid flip to shoot the man.

I glance up to see that intruders surround Delaurant , closing in on him and the two bodyguards protecting him.

Within two shots from the intruders, the body guards are dead.

Delaurant flies back when their blood splatters against his suit, his face bewildered.