XVIII. Cole

Cole POV

I kiss her.

            Running my fingers in her hair, the feel of her body beside mine, all I can think about is how right this feels even though I know it’s wrong.

            It was wrong in so many levels.

            It wasn’t just wrong in terms of vigilante and human interactions but also the fact that I was associated with the group that tried to kill her-that kidnapped her father.

            It was so wrong-

            But when her fingers trail down my neck to linger on my shoulders, I can’t breathe.

            She is a raging tempest beating in the center of my chest, wrecking havoc with every salty wave that draws me in because I can’t get enough of her.

            I can’t even remember how long I’ve wanted this.

            She breaks for air and I move to kiss down her jaw line, easily wrapping my arms around her to push her back onto the bed.

            Resting my body over hers, I can feel the frantic beating of her heart against my chest, her cold fingers like fire against my warm skin.

            In the background, I shove the sounds of the news into the back of my mind, ignoring their words.

            My heart beats so fast it hurts. I could endure so many different levels of pain and yet I couldn’t even contain this liquid shot of anxiety that runs through my spine when she murmurs my name.

            I am thrown back to ten years ago, when I first looked into her dark eyes, the stark impulse for me to protect her never wavering over the years.

            The desire to protect her was what I told myself I was doing every time I followed her to school, or home from work-

            Because even if I disappeared from her life for ten years, she had never disappeared from mine.

            It was during these short interval of times within my days that I would stand by and watch her live her life, the closest I thought I would ever be able to get.

            But now that I am here, my palms pressed against her face, the feeling of her beside me is all too real.

            She tangles her fingers in my hair and I’m not the anarchist of the city, or even the vigilante of the city anymore, I’m just Cole.

            All of it ends too soon though when her phone goes off, Grace instantly stiffening beneath me.

            I try to ignore it but when I feel Grace place her palms on my chest to gently push me back, I roll off of her, sitting beside her as she reaches for her phone shakily.

            “H-Hello?” she murmurs lowly, her body stiff.

            I watch her movements, examining the nervous tick in the way she drummed her fingers against her knees, the frown on her lips deepening as the voice on the phone erupts into a yell.

            “I’m okay, I just wanted to spend a few days by myself,” Grace says defensively, raising her voice.

            “No,” Grace forces out, her eyes widening. “I’ll come to you.”

            Grace inhales sharply, listening to thatcher on the other line, her body never relaxing.

            I rest my hand on her knee and her eyes flicker to me, an unreadable emotion crossing her face as she reassures Thatcher that she’ll see him soon.

~*~

A/N- Next chapter is posted as well :) Please don't forget to vote!