Chapter 3: The Governor

After bidding the peasant woman farewell, Kyoshi and her companions continued on the road to Gaoling, now accompanied by their serendipitous new friend, the Spirit Companion Kyoshi named "Ami" meaning "friendship."

As they walked, the creature zipped happily back and forth between members of the group, pausing occasionally to nuzzle Kyoshi's cheek or preen Rangi's hair, much to her annoyance.

"I swear it's like having an overeager child tag along, begging for treats and getting underfoot," Rangi grumbled at one point after nearly tripping over the exuberant fluffball. Still, Ami's antics brought smiles all around—even from dour Lao Ge.

By midday, when the forest thinned into farmland, the city outskirts became visible ahead. Rangi turned to Kyoshi, eyebrows knitted. "So what's our plan here anyway? This silk guild dispute is under the jurisdiction of the Earth Kingdom. Why call the Avatar rather than sort it out internally?"

Kyoshi chewed her lip thoughtfully as Ami's bushy tail shifted to turquoise. "An excellent point...Governor Yunju knows requesting my direct intervention reflects poorly on local leadership." Her eyes narrowed. "Either he lacks the political backing within Gaoling to resolve this alone, or there's more lurking beneath the surface here."

"My coin falls with the latter," Lao Ge grunted. "Best we investigate matters firsthand before deciding on action."

The companions soon reached the city gates, where a nervous delegate awaited them. "Avatar Kyoshi! Thank the spirits you've arrived with...such promptness." The man peered curiously at her ragtag company.

"Indeed, we came with due haste," Kyoshi replied evenly. "Now then, please advise the exact nature of tensions between the guilds so that I may determine appropriate measures for resolution."

The delegate blinked rapidly, sweat beading his brow. "Ah, well...I'm afraid Governor Yunju can explain the situation best. He awaits your audience." The man bowed, gesturing toward the waiting palanquin.

Kyoshi cast a wary glance back at her friends. Whatever the full gambit here, the governor clearly intended to explain on his own terms. With no choice but to play along for now, she steeled herself and climbed inside. What fresh political machinations would await them now?

******

As the palanquin bearers hoisted their burden, Kyoshi extended a hand to help Rangi climb in beside her. But the delegate cleared his throat loudly.

"My apologies, maid. The governor requested only the Avatar attend this sensitive first meeting." His lip curled slightly as he raked disdainful eyes over Rangi's battle-worn armor. In a flash, Rangi grabbed the man by his robes, flaming his palm inches from his face. "Who are you calling a maid, you pompous-"

"Rangi please," Kyoshi interrupted, gently pushing her hand down with an imploring look. To the delegate she replied sternly, "Where I go, my party goes. Inform Governor Yunju he will need to make do with all of us."

The now profusely sweating man bowed awkwardly in Rangi's grip. "Y-yes of course!" Straightening his rumpled tunic, he glanced around furtively before whispering. "We've had strange events since this land feud began. Odd creatures spotted, townspeople acting peculiar...I'm not one to spread rumors, but something uncanny is afoot!" With that ominous word, he scurried off.

Kirima watched him go. "Well that was suitably ominous. So...think the governor called us about some territory quarrel or to handle their supernatural pest problem?"

Wong crossed his arms. "I wager a bit of both. This has Lao Ge written all over it." They turned to the old man, but he simply gazed skyward absently.

Kyoshi furrowed her brow as their conveyance jostled down cluttered streets. She considered the delegate's cryptic words alongside Lao Ge's unrelenting certainty. Trouble brewed here. Her instincts screamed that larger machinations lurked beneath this guild conflict's veneer.