Chapter 6: Into The Dark

The sun slowly set, casting a crimson glow over the terraced rooftops of Gaoling as Kyoshi stood at the towering study window lost in thought. Behind her, Governor Yunju rambled on about revised policies, but she only half-listened. Her mind was preoccupied with her own plans.

After their encounter earlier that day regarding mutated wildlife plaguing nearby villages, the rest of the day had passed without much incident. But Kyoshi knew better than to let her guard down. She was determined to uncover the source of these dangerous creatures under the cover of nightfall.

As she turned back into the room, Kyoshi noticed the governor wrapping up his proposals and extending a hand towards her with a smug smile. He praised her for her influence and impartial wisdom, believing they had come to an agreement thanks to her support.

Kyoshi greeted his extended hand with a firm shake and a steady gaze. "I am pleased to see that we have been able to reach an equitable resolution, Governor Yunju. Your leadership has been instrumental in this matter. I will leave any remaining formalities in your capable hands."

The governor bowed deeply before leaving, his surprise at her deference barely concealed in his eyes. But Kyoshi maintained her composure, hiding her excitement at the real objective she had planned for tonight: finding out where these twisted forces were spawning from and what other secrets Yunju was desperately trying to hide outside of town.

Even after Governor Yunju had left, Kyoshi remained in the dimly lit study, surveying the shelves filled with scrolls and ornamental weapons that lined the spotless walls. If there were any clues to be found about regional mysteries, they would surely be hidden in the governor's inner sanctum.

As she stepped into the flickering lamplight, Kyoshi carefully scanned every inch of the room for any concealed latches or gaps that could potentially hide secret passages. She highly doubted that the cunning governor would leave any incriminating evidence out in plain sight.

Her instincts proved right when she discovered a small compartment behind a lacquered writing desk, concealed by carved mahogany paneling. With a triumphant grin, she triggered the spring-loaded catch and revealed a narrow cavity stacked with bundles of yellowed writings.

Gently handling the fragile pages, Kyoshi unfurled them under the lamplight and squinted to make out faded characters spelling out ancient spirit world incantations alongside sketches of anatomical creatures and maps marked with X's corresponding to nearby villages. It was clear that these were ritual spells for some heinous biological experimentation—exactly what she had feared.

Feeling her heart racing, Kyoshi rolled up the thick occultist parchment and quietly made her way back through dark corridors to her guest suite. But just as she was about to reach her destination, she almost ran into Rangi who was exiting their shared bedchamber.

"Are you okay? Did His Eminence bore you with the talk of settlement clauses?" Rangi asked in a hushed voice. Upon seeing Kyoshi's tense expression, she placed a gentle hand on her shoulder and furrowed her brow in silent concern.

In hushed tones, Kyoshi recounted her shocking findings from studying the governor's office. Rangi's eyes flashed with anger as she processed the implications. "Despicable sorcery is being used against innocent creatures, and the townspeople have no idea." she seethed.

Kyoshi nodded in agreement. "There is a vile conspiracy hiding right under their noses, fueled by some unknown power that is causing mutations in wildlife. We need to find the source tonight!"

Rangi squeezed Kyoshi's hand, her expression fierce and protective. "Then we will go together at dusk, and may Agni help whoever is behind this darkness."