PART 14 - ELLE

Angel is picking me up in half an hour, and I am literally still wearing my pyjamas, so yeah, it's certainly time to hurry up.
He texted he'd take me with him for an 'outdoor activity', so I should choose some clothes appropriate for the September weather.

After looking in my closet I finally decided to go for a white top, loose grey pants and a light brown, vintage-looking jacket. I put my hair up in a bun and wear little golden hoop earrings.

When I'm finished getting ready, I pose in the mirror to take a picture, so I can send it to my group chat. I mean, I can't let such a good outfit go unnoticed, can I?

"Elle, Angel's here for you!" Manuel called from downstairs.

"I'm almost there!"

Manuel was talking to Angel as he stood in the doorway. Is it just me or does he look taller than usual?

"There you are." Angel smiled brightly in my direction.

"Yep, I just need to find my shoes, and we can go."

I struggled into my Dr. Martens and got up to pick my tote bag from its hook.

"You guys have fun out there, and Angel, don't forget what I said." Manuel called after us as we got in the car.

A few minutes later, I was watching the landscape pass by through the window from the passenger seat.

"So how have you been since... you know..."

"I'm fine. I-"

"You want to talk about it or should we just spend the day trying to forget about it?"

"That sounds good. For now." I smiled at him shortly.

He grinned at me in response and reached over to turn up the radio, and a while later we arrived at an unpaved car park in a pretty rural area.

"Here we are then. May I present to you the infamous Hill farm."

"Wait the Hill farm? Oh, I've heard so much about this from Mia. I never thought I'd actually get to see it in real life."

"I'm happy I can be the first to show you then."

Mia always used to tell me stories about how she and Angel used to visit their uncle and aunt as kids during the summer holidays because they owned this place and needed some help on the land.
However, since their children grew up, they could help out instead, so Mia and Angel didn't come here that often any more.

Angel grabbed my hand and pulled me down the path towards the house, halfway there a man with dark, curly hair identical to Angel's called to us from the field.

"Angel Hill, there you are!"

He was wearing a green shirt, jeans and boots. Around his waist rested a belt with extra pockets, and he had an old looking hat on top of his head.

"Hi uncle, long time no see."

"Sure is, and I assume this is the girl you told me about?" he said as he rubbed his dirty hands on his pants.

"Yeah, this is Elle. Elle, this is my uncle."

"Hi, nice to meet you." I said politely and smiled at him.

"Ah there is no need to be so polite here," he said, "I must say it's a pleasure to meet you too though."

We spent the morning working with the animals. We cleaned out their stables and fed them.
Overall, a very fun and distracting activity, but I was exhausted when Angel proposed to picnic as a late lunch.

"Oh yeah, that sounds good. Should we go to the grocery store or something?" I asked.

He just grinned at me sheepishly. "I came prepared."

I quickly tidied myself up and brought my apron back to the house before he returned carrying a whole basket of food.

"We should go to the sunflower field." he said as he went through his hair with his hand.

"Sunflower field?"

"Yeah, down there." He pointed to somewhere behind the trees.

"Oh, alright. Let's go then."

The rest of the afternoon went by in a blur. At some point, Angel did ask me if I wanted to talk about the reason we were initially here, but I decided it would be better to just ignore all my problems for today and just enjoy myself, and we did exactly that. We sat on the picnic blanket, watching the sun and talking for quite a long time.

"So there is no one you really like right now, huh?"

I blushed a little, thinking of my latest obsession with a certain good-looking boy. "No, no I don't." I said, looking away.

"Are you sure? There is no one?" he said, teasing.

I looked back at him and paused. Should I tell him? Wouldn't it be weird? He's in the same friend group as him... It's probably not a good idea, no.

Angel leaned in a little closer, and it took me a moment to realise he was trying to... kiss me.
I could already feel his breath on my face and for a moment I panicked, but then I decided to calmly push him away with my hand on his shoulder.

"I- I didn't- I'm sorry, Angel. I don't see you that way."

He leaned back and was silent for a moment.

"Oh."

And just like that, everything after that moment kind of passed in a blur.
I tried to apologise, but he didn't want to talk. He said he needed some time and called me an Uber.

So that's how I ended up going home alone, feeling slightly miserable in the back of a car with a stranger.

I did enjoy myself today, but now I'm worrying that maybe he didn't even care about me at all, and he just wanted to get in my pants or something.
I know that's stupid though, I know Angel. He would never do such a thing.