1. A Meeting to Remember

・:*:・゚✩𓆩♡𓆪✩・:*:・゚

I'm like the water when your ship rolled in that night
Rough on the surface but you cut through like a knife

– Willow (Taylor Swift)

Audrey Dawkins's footsteps got lost in the chaos of the streets as many other people were out to complete their missions

Audrey Dawkins's footsteps got lost in the chaos of the streets as many other people were out to complete their missions. She had been tasked to bring lunch to her boss, Mrs. Fawny, which she had already been used to thanks to the three years of practice and time spent in the sewing shop where she worked in exchange for a roof over her head and food to fill her belly.

As she made it past a couple of officers who were aiming for the local bar, her ears caught the news of another hanging happening on the square in just a few minutes. She shuddered at the picture of the horrific scene that instantly appeared in her brain. If there was one thing she hated, it was death. She despised the unanswered questions that came with it. The unknown. No one really knew what followed life after it came to its end. She was familiar with the catholics' belief that sins shall be forgiven to the honest and find peace but she wasn't a believer. She had long stopped having faith in a greater good that might be watching out for her.

"Jack!" Audrey called out in surprise at the sight of her brother that appeared from a corner.

As usual, he was wearing a top hat and a coat was lining his body, a waistcoat and a shirt underneath it. At first, he didn't notice his younger sister's presence but his head flew up at the sound of her voice.

"Audrey, hello. Hate to disappoint, but I must be on my way now," he blurted out quickly and intended to walk past her but didn't expect Audrey's fingers to wrap around his arm.

"What happened, Jack?" she asked him. She had known him long enough to notice that something was bugging him real hard.

"Nothing for you to worry about, Auds," he assured her but his repeating nervous turns of head betrayed his words.